If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Newbie (to BMW) questions in regards to /2

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

They are around. Watch the Internet BMW Riders Marketplace, eBay and your local Craigslist.

A pretty realistic rule of thumb, which I think Allan Atherton first wrote and has been mentioned often, is that a /2 costs $5k to buy, $5k to refurbish mechanically and $5k to restore cosmetically. Sounds like a lot, but in fact, the first of the 5s may be getting out of date.

To get some idea of what you're jumping into, I'd recommend looking for the out of print book "How to Restore Your BMW Motorcycle, Twins 1950-1969" by Rolan Slabon (ISBN 0-87938-933-8), from Motorbooks Int'l. It's actually not much about restoring bikes, at least mechanically, but can give you a wealth of information about what you're looking at when you start perusing ads.

Good luck!
--Darryl Richman

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

I have all those books and I can't say I found anything in the out of print book to make it worth the over 100 bucks going rate.

The other buyers guides, even one from the same author, are adequate since none of them are really restoration guides, far from complete and comprehensive, as pointed out by Mr Richman

I'll sell you my copy, gave 130 shipped for it

Yours for a benji and I'll honestly tell you, it's not worth half a benjamin

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I got a brand new version of Roland's "How to Restore..." book for about $30 at

http://www.motorsportpublications.com

They're somewhere in Missouri and I actually had someone go to their door...they don't really deal that way, though. That's been a few years ago and there may have only been a few in his inventory.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

Store Front Account Search Product List Basket Contents Checkout

Search For The Following Word(s): slabon how to restore

No products matched your search criteria

then

Store Front Account Search Product List Basket Contents Checkout

Search For The Following Word(s): slabon

BMW Motorcycle Buyer's Guide, Illustrated
Price: $17.95
Quantity in Basket: none
Roland Slabon 160 pages. Softcover.

I paid 12.99, shipped, for that book off ebay

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Yeah, it's crazy what people are asking for the How to Restore book. I happened into this hobby when they were still in print and got one signed from Roland. The back cover lists a price of $27. I guess it's the forbidden fruit syndrome.

I guess I lucked out on the L.J.K. Setright book, "Bahnstormer", too. My BMW dealer in LA had a copy in their display case for years, it seemed like, and eventually I just bought it so they'd put something else in its place.
--Darryl Richman

jeff dean

Post by jeff dean »

BMW motorcycles were big in New England when I was in grad school in New Haven. Prime grounds for finding slash-2s there.

My first motorcycle, in 1967, was an R60/2. I have loved them ever since, and own several now I use to recapture the feeling of my long-ago youth.

You will want to consult this site as well:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/slash2/

Especially the messages.

Also - http://tinyurl.com/2lk8vc

It's never too late to fall for a slash-2!

[h3]Jeff Dean
Friend of the Marque, Co-Founder VBMWMO (1972)
http://bmwdean.com --- http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm[/h3]

[img]http://bmwdean.com/r75-200.jpg[/img]

Peter

Post by Peter »

Howdy Red Sox and welcome, all I can add is do as the "Godfathers" above have suggested, buy the book, do the research, then go shopping, as for the financials the 5K + 5K is pretty accurate although with the price of parts it may be closer to 5K + 7K, (as in 5K to purchase + 7K to restore). As Darryl (Godfather 1,) mentioned the Internet BMW Riders marketplace IMHO is the best place to find a /2, if your patient you will find a gem. Try the Bikes Wanted section, you can post a request and see what turns up.

Now all you need to do is decide on a model, the R60/2 is superb although usually ridden by older men with tweed jackets and grey hair, you can tell the R60/2 as it has a carrier on the back for their packed lunch. Now if you wanted to be the Mayor of funky town, the Chairman of the style council and Joe Cool all at the same time you would choose the R51/3, it's the sweetest thing on two wheels. Although I saw my neighbour on the weekend on her balcony riding her exercise bike in a black bikini, now if that bikini had white pin stripes she may have pipped the R51/3 for the award.

Regards Peter
R42, R12, R51/3, R69S

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Now all you need to do is decide on a model, the R60/2 is superb although usually ridden by older men with tweed jackets and grey hair, you can tell the R60/2 as it has a carrier on the back for their packed lunch. Now if you wanted to be the Mayor of funky town, the Chairman of the style council and Joe Cool all at the same time you would choose the R51/3, it's the sweetest thing on two wheels.
What if you have both? ;)

BTW, I don't fit either of your profiles so far.
Although I saw my neighbour on the weekend on her balcony riding her exercise bike in a black bikini, now if that bikini had white pin stripes she may have pipped the R51/3 for the award.
And I'm not even close to that one!
--Darryl Richman

saintclair2703

Post by saintclair2703 »

A guy here just sold a decent runner for $3500. The best way to find them is talk to everyone who will stand still long enough- especially small or independant shops. They all have networks and many of these guys still don't use computers.
I deserve a paper plate as strong as I am!

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Hello .....great forum.....I had a few questions about the /2 ......what is a reasonable price for one that needs some work but runs.......im looking for a project and have absouloutly fallen in love with alot of these /2 especially the r50 and r60........ive worked on harleys, and several vintage hondas, but im hooked on these LOL :D do you guys have a hard time finding the /2s around?????? Thanks in advance for any help or direction.......I look forward to becoming an active member of the group..... :D
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.