If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Tank without emblems?

Darryl.Richman

Tank without emblems?

Post by Darryl.Richman »

The emblems were a separate part. The tank should have2 threaded screw holes on either side. The emblems, and two thin rubber gaskets, were screwed onto the tank. There was never any indentation on the tank to indicate the spot, and the emblems were heavy, copper enameled items, which are still available from the usual suspects (check the resources page on the main web site).

If you look at the parts book for your model, you'll see how it went together.
--Darryl Richman

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester

Tank without emblems?

Post by Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester »

There was never any indentation on the tank to indicate the spot
I figured at least there'd be indentations in the paint where the screw holes were, if someone painted over it. I guess not, though. Guess I just need to get working on removing that crappy paint job. Thanks.

Darryl.Richman

Tank without emblems?

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Unfortunately, Bondo conquers all. :(
--Darryl Richman

VBMWMO

Tank without emblems?

Post by VBMWMO »

I recently got a 1955 R50 in rough shape and have gotten it running again, although it's still not so hot cosmetically. One thing about it that has confused me is that there are no BMW logo emblems on the gas tank. There is a pretty crappy paintjob on it, but I can neither see nor feel any indentation or other feature on the sides of the tank that would indicate an emblem or an emblem slot was EVER there. The tank does otherwise look like an original, though, with the proper shape and knee pads and whatnot. Is there such a thing as an aftermarket tank with no logos on it? Or could someone have just sanded the emblems down so well that there are no traces of them underneath the paint? (But why on earth would anyone want to do that?)
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.