If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

mounting points on the frame for sidecars?

Barry Robin

Post by Barry Robin »

cris-

you'll want anything built before '69, before they went to plunger forks; look for an example with earles forks: if it has earles forks then it has a factory welded set of ball mounts...

if you look at the literature, you'll see that the sidecar for your bike is the LS200 or LS250. small as a munchkin's shoe, but anything bigger would be way too heavy-and there are those of us who feel that even the little LS200 is too much for the bike. but hey: BMW did sell them set up that way...

-barry robin

MZ-B Guy

Post by MZ-B Guy »

Hey Chris.... Yes all the /2 bikes were designed to haul sidecars...but the rig attached to a R27 is really minimal...both speed and power..it is not somthing you would want to use everyday...
I have see a really nice set-up that came from the Dauntless folks in Seattle.. it was a F650 using their subframe (somthing like $650) hauling a Russian light weight sidecar.....A sputnik (I think) It was featured on the cover of ON magazine (it was painted Yellow)
I ride a sidecar rig... and this is a really nice rig...best single rig I have seen...Check the Dauntless website.

Joel
MZ-B Guy

fry3821

Sidecar Mounts

Post by fry3821 »

Gents,
In 68, you could get both Earls forks, and telescopic. I watched as a dealer took the forks from a telescopic model and replaced them with a pair from an Earls. Might be careful of what you buy if you are buying a 68 thinking it will be Earls. And, even worse, might get a 68 or whatever model with Earls forks that does NOT have sidecar mounts!!

Ronnie

Allan.Atherton

Re: mounting points on the frame for sidecars?

Post by Allan.Atherton »

I am very interested in purchasing a single cylinder bike to putt around the city on. I wanted something that I could potentially put a sidecar on if I wanted to. What year did they stop putting the mounting points on the frame for sidecars? I think R26/27 don’t have them. Any help would be nice. Chris

The R27 would make the best single-cylinder sidecar-puller, as it has the most power. However, the 18 hp R27 and 15 hp R26 don't have mounting points, but the early-50's R25 does.

For the R26/27 you would need to buy a lower subframe having the two lower ball mounts, and at least one eye clamp for the upper mount. Some use 1 upper mount for a total of 3, but two upper mounts are better for a total of 4. You must also change the final drive to a higher ratio, which will reduce the top speed to around 45.

I have more info and photos if you can email me.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

I am very interested in purchasing a single cylinder bike to putt around the city on. I wanted something that I could potentially put a sidecar on if I wanted to. What year did they stop putting the mounting points on the frame for sidecars? I think R26/27 don’t have them. Any help would be nice.

Chris
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.