If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New to Old.....

Darryl.Richman

New to Old.....

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Alow, when you buy into a vintage bike, you are almost certainly going to get into the "restoration side of things". Nearly any bike you get is going to be at least part jigsaw puzzle.

Personally, I have come to the conclusion that the way to buy an old bike is to get one that's cosmetically as complete as possible (even if the cosmetics themselves are not so good), and then expect to have to go through the drivetrain and electrics. Anything less is a win.

For example, I bought an R51/3 on eBay a few years back. Fortunately, the seller was only 45 miles from me, and I could go over and look at the bike before paying. It ran ok, but had some odd carburetion issues. It didn't shift real well. The chrome was ok, but the paint wasn't great, and the pinstripes were wrong. Physically, it had all of the pieces on it that were supposed to be there. I got it for what I thought was a good price, including the idea that I'd have to go through the motor and transmission.

I haven't bothered with the optics of the bike, but I did rebuild the motor and a friend helped me with the transmission. I've put 5,000 miles on it and while it's not a real looker, it's great fun to ride.

A good starter bike is one where the parts are plentiful and readily available. Nearly any postwar beemer qualifies (there are a few exceptions - just let me know if you happen to stumble on an R51/2). A bike that has a following, enough so that there is a support group for it, to ask questions and get opinions. This last part is what we're all here for, and there are several other places on the web as well.

Don't necessarily buy the prettiest/most expensive bike you find. You will still have to put money into it. Find something that's complete, because the missing pieces will nickel ($50) and dime ($100) you to death.

Don't expect to make money, or buy into an "investment". (Whether you need to use these lines on your wife may be a different matter. ;-) ) Pretty much nobody who sets a bike up for themselves will get their money back if they sell it right away. It could take years for the market to catch up to a restoration.

Some sage advice I was given was that, upon completing my restoration, I should have a party at which I burn all the receipts, so that I would never know really how much I poured into it. ;-)
--Darryl Richman

dunn6818

New to Old.....

Post by dunn6818 »

Don't expect to make money, or buy into an "investment". (Whether you need to use these lines on your wife may be a different matter. ;-) ) Pretty much nobody who sets a bike up for themselves will get their money back if they sell it right away. It could take years for the market to catch up to a restoration.

Some sage advice I was given was that, upon completing my restoration, I should have a party at which I burn all the receipts, so that I would never know really how much I poured into it. ;-)
I keep an excel spreadsheet of the restoration cost of each project, it's frightening reading at times.

As to which BMW to buy I think you will have to wait & see what turns up at the right time for you. Possibly an earls fork twin from the mid 60s would be your best option as they are a very useable machine in modern traffic conditions.

Good luck !

Peter

alowishus

New to Old.....

Post by alowishus »

Thanks for the info!

I'm probably more along the lines of Peter - keeping spreadsheets and what not.

I'm actually in the process of selling a 1960 Austin Healey "Bug-Eyed" Sprite. So I'm well aware of the "investment" side of the restoration ;) Also, I realized early on exactly what Darryl mentioned, which is that a restore project that is mostly complete is a far cry better than one that is missing some pieces!

At this point, it sounds like a bike that is mostly complete and postwar is a good place to start. I like the lines and looks of the bike like Darryl's picture.

I realize this is a semi-loaded question but what will I be looking at financially to first obtain the bike than for restoration? Say I found a bike like Darryl is recommending - bike runs semi-ok, needs a bit of cosmetic work, etc.

Thanks!
alow
2003 BMW K1200GT (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)

dunn6818

New to Old.....

Post by dunn6818 »

Hi

I suggest you keep your eye on the vintage bike ads in the IBMWR http://www.ibmwr.org this will give you some idea of US bike values. My experience is UK based.

Obviously the desireability of any particular model will determine it's starting value. My own preference is for sports bikes, so R68, R69 & R69S & these tend to be more expensive than an equivalent age R50 or R60. However, the restoration costs are much the same.

I still think you need to see what turns up & see if it appeals. There is a BMW Buyers Guide published, this will give you guidance on model types & may give you a pointer as to which bike you would want.

My first old BMW was a 1957 R26 in awful condition, that took 2 years to restore. I swapped it for a R69S after a dealer had bought the R26.
By the way my first bike was a black 1980 MB5 !

Pete

slash2nut

old and new...

Post by slash2nut »

At this point, it sounds like a bike that is mostly complete and postwar is a good place to start. I like the lines and looks of the bike like Darryl's picture.
There have been two R51/3 on ebay in the past month. The first, a complete motorcycle went for a little more than 7k. The second sold a couple of days ago. Although it ws not complete, the paint work was reported to be excellent and most of it was there. It too went for more than 7k.

Both seemed like reasonable entry prices for the R51/3 market with the bulk of the motorcycles together.
Dave in MI
50 years of BMW in the garage

alowishus

New to Old.....

Post by alowishus »

Thanks for the info. I've checked out the ibmwr classifieds to see what wsa out there. Also kinda sorted through eBay a bit.

I guess I'm still trying to piece together the model lines etc.

I've seen a few charts listing model types and release dates. Not really a big deal - I'm sure it will all come together at some point.

From the pictures I've seen there are a number of things I liek about some of the 1960's models - turn signals on the bar ends, the bouncy bicycle seat look-alike, etc.

Guess I'll just keep lurking around until I find something that piques my interest!

Thanks again!
alow
2003 BMW K1200GT (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)

VBMWMO

New to Old.....

Post by VBMWMO »

Hi All,

I'm a noob when it comes to vintage bikes. I've always like the looks of the bikes and the thoughts of way back when they stir up.

I've got an opportunity (read: the wife gave me permission) to start looking into purchasing a vintage bike. I'd kinda of like to get into the restoration side of things, but I'm not adverse into buying one that is partially restored.

I know opinions are a dime a dozen, but I'd like to get an idea of what I'm possibly getting into and what would be a good "starter" vintage bike for the noob "restorer"!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
alow
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.