If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

shipping BMW motorcycle to EU

Dover Rider

shipping BMW motorcycle to EU

Post by Dover Rider »

Hello,
Has anyone had the experience of shipping their bike to Europe for a long vacation? I would like to travel the continent without buying another bike. Would especially like to hear from International members who would be willing to receive a bike shipped overseas from the US. Thoughts??

schrader7032

Re: shipping BMW motorcycle to EU

Post by schrader7032 »

Matt Parkhouse, the Airhead tech writer for the MOA, always mentions Stefan Knopf in Germany. He's been using them for years and leaves bikes stored with them waiting for him to return for local trips.

http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Transport.html
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Stacy Silverwood

Post by Stacy Silverwood »

Stefan is the way to go if you can meet his schedule. He has this down to a fine art and is in the process of building new warehouse facilities. I've kept a bike with Stefan in Heidelberg for several years and never had an issue when I needed the bike upon arrival. Even if you are not looking to store a bike (at very reasonable prices) he is the master of shipping - so long as time is not of the essence.

Good luck!

Dover Rider

Post by Dover Rider »

Thanks for the replies to my question. I will follow up on such good advice and try to reach out to Mr. Knoff. I have a friend in Wiesbaden so that will work out.
Cheers !

cwf

Post by cwf »

Hello, I bought a 50/2 from Flashback Enterprises in Imlay City, Michigan last September and they send a container regularly to Barrow-in-Furness, UK. Their agent in UK can deliver from there. They were reliable and efficient but maybe one-way only.
Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

Dover Rider

Post by Dover Rider »

Thanks Charlie!
I appreciate the feed back

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Air Canada ships motorcycles from a limited number of airports in Canada to a number of destinations in Europe and one in Africa. Don't know where you're located in the US, but if you're within riding distance of one of their departure points, might be worth looking into. Assuming of course that the border is open again.

You get a discount if you fly with them, too. Haven't used this myself but have heard of others doing so, and they had no problems. Google "Air Canada Fly Your Bike 2021" for their brochure.
Lincoln--Ann Arbor & Taos
1967 R69S, original owner; 1978 R100S; 2001 R1150GS; 2002 R1150RT

Dover Rider

Post by Dover Rider »

Good information to know. That sounds like the fastest way to go once the border opens again. We are 2 hrs. from Vancouver BC. Thanks for posting Lincoln

Ragnorrk

Post by Ragnorrk »

When a friend found out that you could have it shipped via ship, he was amazed. As soon as you board the ship, your bike is secured alongside all those gleaming new BMWs, Audis, Mercedes-Benz, Minis and other European automobiles, and you're notified when the ship will arrive at whatever port it's travelling to in the United States. It couldn't be simpler!

Of course, it takes a few weeks. The battery should be disconnected, especially in the case of an alarm or immobilizer.
Recently I checked some helpful reviews about bikes at dirtbikeadvisor

Mojangalo

Post by Mojangalo »

It's a tricky proposition shipping overseas. Haven't done it myself, but know people who have and they've stressed that you need to deal with a shipper that really knows what they're doing (understands import restrictions, laws, logistics, etc.) Here's a primer that covers a lot of what you need to know from an international shipper https://www.a1autotransport.com/interna ... -shipping/ haven't used them myself as I mentioned, but it's one of the more thorough articles I've found on the subject if anyone else is considering.