If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/2 with R75/5 motor on Craigslist. Strange brew...

goaarongo

R60/2 with R75/5 motor on Craigslist. Strange brew...

Post by goaarongo »

This is not mine, nor do I know the seller. It came up in my local listings and thought it was interesting enough to share.
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/elg ... 02924.html

Some really weird things going on here - but I kinda love it.

srankin

Re: R60/2 with R75/5 motor on Craigslist. Strange brew...

Post by srankin »

People have been swapping out the R60 engines for others for years. The most radical swap I saw was at the R90S rally in PA back in 14. A fellow had a /2 frame equipped with a 90S engine, done up with modern disk brakes the works. The job was done right and was really neat.

I have a friend who swapped out a /2 engine for a /5 engine because he got to where he could not kick start the bike. The /5 had electric start.

The Earls fork bikes are darn good handling bikes despite the drum brakes and poor shocks.

They make a perfect sidecar rig, and a lot of the engine swaps are done with that in mind. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

These engine swaps lead to more and more mismatches of frames without the engines they were born with. As more or less a purist or stock person, it hurts to see these kinds of separations. The existing orphan list is probably only the tip of the iceberg. Oh well...I guess it's just me. ;)
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Well Kurt, I kind of know how you feel about preserving the stock bikes but, on the other hand, I am kind of happy to see some of the custom stuff being done.

I am surprised by the number of "cafe" bike shops now in existence building one off bikes for bespoke customers. At least, one segment of the younger generations are still interested in airheads.

A done right job, is a thing of beauty, wether it be a simple engine swap like my friend's /2 with the /5 engine or a radical mod bike.

I get the shakes when I see butchered bikes. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS