If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

A /2 at Daytona Bike Week

stagewex

A /2 at Daytona Bike Week

Post by stagewex »

Having had it up to my ears with our northeast snow and cold this Winter I hatched a plan a couple weeks ago to head south for at least some of Daytona Bike Week. Got the Green Light from my wife and even though I had to work half the week it was more about riding and warm Sun. I’ve done Bike Week twice before, once on an HD Softail and another time on an r1100rt. Both times riding from NY to Florida and back. As I approach my 60th birthday I don’t really have anything to prove to myself about riding in the cold and snow anymore. Is that wisdom or common sense? Besides, I was bringing down my ’69 r60/2 this time and there was no reason to push the old girl into cardiac arrest.

My buddy (Sportster) and I left work on Wednesday evening after a 16 hour work day. We already had the bikes pre-loaded and tie’d down on a little dual Kendon trailer. Hooked it up and took off. We made it to St. Augustine driving straight-thru 19 hours later. Unpacked somewhat, took the bikes off the trailer and then rode them down to Daytona, about 60 miles. Even after a 950 mile ride in the car a nice bike ride in the warmth riding along the coast was invigorating. We did about 140 miles by the time we got back to our motel. We stayed in St. Augustine because we didn’t want to be any closer to the insanity of Daytona itself.

For me the track and the races are a focal point though over the years this event has turned into a 99% Harley crowd. We went to the Midway vendors at Daytona Speedway and also paid $20.00 to enter the inner field track. That was cool. Also the huge Destination Daytona complex with so many events, vendors and interesting things to see. JP Cycles has a store there that is like entering their catalog, so much stuff. Besides all the custom bikes and gear this is a people & character watching event. You almost want to tell some folks “hey, you’re to old to dress that way” especially women. But you don’t and no matter… everyone is having a good time so good for them. Senior Citizen Spring Break.

I saw plenty of BMW’s but not that many older models. There might have been some sort of vintage gathering earlier in the week. I did see BSA’s, Triumph’s and Nortons. I saw a red r75/5 at the track. And while traveling south on A1A on Saturday morning I saw a beautiful black /2 with sidecar pass me going north, may have been an r69? But no other /2’s which made my little r60 somewhat of a celebrity even among the Pirate and leather crowd. Lots of thumbs up and interest by even the most hard-core “bikers”. Best thing for me was I finally got a chance to get familiar with my bike. I picked it up in late October but between waiting forever for parts and getting it sorted out I’ve only been able to take short rides in the bitter cold when there’s not much snow or ice on the ground. Figured out how to start it with one kick (instead of 39). Old timers appreciated seeing that though secretly I wish I did have an electric start too. And it ran great, so very, very smooth and could keep up with much newer bikes and hold her own. I put about 500 miles on her in 4 days or riding and she never missed a beat. On the last day we rode until the Sun came down, pulled the bikes up on to the trailer and started our ride home which was another 18 hours. Kinda sad to come back to colder weather than when I left but what can you do? Todays the first day of Spring and we have another predicted snow storm coming our way.
Attachments
img_3345.jpg
img_3345.jpg (266.06 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
img_3333.jpg
img_3333.jpg (257.96 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
img_0025_2.jpg
img_0025_2.jpg (237.47 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
img_3296.jpg
img_3296.jpg (276.19 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

schrader7032

Nice story! Now you better

Post by schrader7032 »

Nice story! Now you better go and get all that salt washed off the bike!!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

stagewex

Ahh, left me tell ya. I

Post by stagewex »

Ahh, left me tell ya. I already had a ton of salt from trailering only on the left side of the bike from melting snow up here. Looked terrible and broke my heart to see her like that. But parking her in the open down in Florida was much worse with the sea salt and humidity in the Florida air. My bike is not restored though looks pretty nice for a 46 year old. Every single chip, scratch and even the top of bolts started showing bright yellow/orange rust almost overnight. It really looks like a barn-find now. Waiting till it gets warmer to give it a bath and detail.

Couple more pix of bike at Daytona Speedway, in front of the German-American Club in St. Augustine, on A1A at night.
Also the Ram Mount, X-Grip and Battery Tender 12V outlet I added so I could use my phone for Mapping (Waze). I have a Power Dynamo system already installed from former owner so it made sense to take advantage. It's all bolt and clip-on anyway. Really made the bike much more convenient for me.
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

stagewex

Here's the actual pix which

Post by stagewex »

Here's the actual pix which for some reason didn't get attached:

Attachments
img_3334.jpg
img_3334.jpg (270.62 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
img_3423.jpg
img_3423.jpg (190.01 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
img_3403.jpg
img_3403.jpg (186.47 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
img_3438.jpg
img_3438.jpg (227.12 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
mike wex/stagewex