If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Bad BMW on Ebay

sithot

Bad BMW on Ebay

Post by sithot »

Everyone should duck this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-R-60-US-or ... true&rt=nc
I looked at this in person so this isn’t second hand information.

What I saw was a gross overstatement of facts (misrepresentation)….not “all original paint” as advertised, known mechanical issues that were not disclosed, and a seller who was patronizing and dismissive when confronted about these problems.

Read the sellers narrative. Also know that it is no 7 or 8. Closer to a 5. Photographs can always be some of the most misleading items anyone could use for marketing . GOOD LIGHT AND HIGH RESOLUTION are necessary. This was in a dark garage and upon arrival it was apparent from about 10 feet away that there were going to be issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/?_trksid=p20607 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Item # 181606023266

The paint isn’t all original as advertised. The frame has been painted with a brush on the front down tubes and rear section as well. Brush strokes and runs are apparent and it’s not a close match at all.
Numerous dents (a rather noticeable one on the gas tank), dings and scratches. Many touched up with the same non-matching paint.

Upon further inspection while attempting to determine the condition of the engine it was found that the kick start section is shot. The transmission will have to be removed. Likely a burr on the shifter drum, broken spring and possibly a tooth either broken off or distorted on the kicker gear. Probably would need bearings if run and then stored this way. Kick start lever is cracked too. $1,000 easy. There is no way to start it as it sits short of an old time vintage race running start. ;)

The seller claimed that once it ran and warmed up the shifter would return to its normal upright position. He also admonished me that if he got it running he was going to ask for more money. I made an offer based on the condition and he went ballistic. It was more than fair all things taken into consideration but me and my partner eased out of the garage and headed back to the truck as his tirade wasn’t pleasant and there was no point in arguing with someone who was never going to be wrong.

Currently there appears to be a shill bid from a buyer with “0” feedback.

Tom

PS: I am always willing to look at any bike that the you folks are interested in that is geographically feasible for me. I may not tell you what you want to hear but I could save you some money and heartache.
"In regione caecorum rex est luscus"

www.pbase.com/tdb

schrader7032

The seller must realize

Post by schrader7032 »

The seller must realize what's going on....the listing has been pulled.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

iagins

Is this the one,

Post by iagins »

Is this the one, relisted?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R-Series-/1 ... 66?vxp=mtr

Ira Agins
Santa Fe, NM