If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Insuring your vintage (or other?) motorcycle

65slashtwo

Insuring your vintage (or other?) motorcycle

Post by 65slashtwo »

I recently sought insurance for my back-on-the-road /2 & looked at Hagerty but found out that my
State Farm agent offers J.C. Taylor (both of which are referenced in the Resource Links at left for 'Insurance').
I inquired about going with Taylor as it would be simple thru my established agent but after some
days & pictures & applications, was told that they would not insure my bike 'unless I already had an
antique car insured thru [Taylor] or another vintage motorcycle'. They wouldn't insure only one vintage
bike by itself.

Just an FYI...Hagerty gave me an online quote with no such stipulation. I did not go with Hagerty however....
SlashTwo

schrader7032

I went direct to JC Taylor

Post by schrader7032 »

I went direct to JC Taylor when I found out that USAA wouldn't insure any more motorcycles...I already had my R100/7 with them...still do. I used Taylor for my R69S...I don't recall any stipulations up front...that's been 5-6 years now. I've since added my R25/2 with them.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

I've been insuring with JC

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I've been insuring with JC Taylor for years, but even when I started with them, I already had a couple old bikes. Before that I had Condon & Skelley, but they, like Haggerty at the time, didn't want me to put on more than 2500 miles in a year, and that's not really feasible for me, especially after I just put 3500 miles on my 1928 R52 over the last 3 weeks.
--Darryl Richman

butch housman

hagerty insurance

Post by butch housman »

has anyone dealt w/ hagerty insurance co. ???
b

butch housman

hagerty insurance

Post by butch housman »

i should have read the previous posts better
i got a quote from hagerty w/ a good rate but it was based on 3500 mi/yr
what happens if u go over that
anyone ever have a claim w/ them ?
b

rennsport

Insurance

Post by rennsport »

Darryl;

How have JC Taylor been for paying claims? After your fiasco last year @ the Cannonball I am curious if they covered it?

Darryl.Richman

Actually, I decided not to

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Actually, I decided not to make a claim, as the damage was so minor. The handlebar was slightly tweaked, the lip of the horn was scraped and there was a bit of paint scraped on the front fender. Oh, and there's a small scrape on the left footboard where I touched down while going through the turn, which is what precipitated the fall.
--Darryl Richman

khittner

I have agreed-value policies

Post by khittner »

I have agreed-value policies from Progressive for my R100RT and Vespa P200. No mileage restrictions. They're not worth tons of money, but would both cost more to replace than the standard valuation guides suggest. With $500K liability, a bit of med payments, Michigan's mandatory "catastrophic claims fund" fees (half the cost of the policies), roadside assistance, etc., the two bikes cost a total of about $700/yr. to insure---not cheap on a cost-per-mile basis, but I could have worse vices.
Konrad

barnstorm

Chubb insurance

Post by barnstorm »

My agent found this company, Chubb, which now covers my R60/2 and R50/2 as an antique "collection"
for about $160 a year. Looks like my R/90 will be joining the group. I told them what I thought the machines were worth and sent in several photos. and that was that.

However, though i can't find the policy right now, I think they have milage limits and storage guidelines.
Just as well because Virginia puts similar limits on antique license plate use, such as - no "daily" transportation use, 200 mile radius travel unless it is event related. Just about right for those bikes.

Cheers
Rick Barnett

Jewels

Insurance

Post by Jewels »

I have 7 Motorcycles insured with Progressive...all have collision coverage as well as 300-500 liability .
The 4 "Vintage " ones have there own stated value policy. Just added a R60/2 with a stated value of 15K and it cost me $105 extra per year.
It is very easy to add and subtract bikes as I sell or buy and I do find them easy to deal with.
FOR ME IT'S MORE ABOUT THE RIDE THAN THE DESTINATION

1964 R69S/1969 R60/2/1980 R100-EML Hack/1984 R100RS/1992 R100RT//2006 ZX-14 Hannigan HP Hack/20013 F800GT