If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

A good loud horn

burke7488

A good loud horn

Post by burke7488 »

Hello airheads, I have a 1972 R60/5 SWB and would like to put on a louder horn. The original is not really loud enough for modern traffic. Ideally I'd like one that looks stock but I doubt that a repo horn is any louder than the original. I could be wrong.
So, if I remove the horn and set it in my BMW box for safe keeping, what horn would you recommend I look at that is loud and yet not too obtrusive looking?

1972 R60 /5 SWB & 1976 R75/6
Tim Burke
Cincinnati, OH www.PistonSociety.com www.GarageBrewed.com

schrader7032

My /7 came with dual Fiamm

Post by schrader7032 »

My /7 came with dual Fiamm horns...plenty loud for me. They need some special consideration. One in terms of a mechanical mount...they do best if the mount is somewhat flexible...that movement helps with the sound. The other is electrical...it should be used with a relay since the horns tend to draw a lot of current. The relay uses nominal wiring to carry 12v to close the relay. The "real" heavy wires for the horn connect the battery to the horn to carry that current.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

bmw-mechanic

this bicycle looks great

Post by bmw-mechanic »

hello

this bicycle looks great.

forget modified suzuki streetfighters :-)

R.D.Green

Dual FIAMMs are pretty loud

Post by R.D.Green »

Dual FIAMMs are pretty loud as Kurt suggests and they would make a nice tidy install. If you would like something even LOUDER, check out Stebel horns. I have one on my 1200GS and can vouch for its ability to get the attention of cage drivers when necessary. They're pretty reasonably priced and you should be able to install one rather unobtrusively where your stock horn is now.

burke7488

I bought a Freeway Blaster

Post by burke7488 »

I bought a Freeway Blaster Horn on Amazon for $15. Pretty Loud. I'll use it for awhile and see if I feel I need something even louder. But this is a good start.

[img=150x]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/7 ... L1500_.jpg[/img]
1972 R60 /5 SWB & 1976 R75/6
Tim Burke
Cincinnati, OH www.PistonSociety.com www.GarageBrewed.com

jrapose

I want one with the sound of skidding tires....

Post by jrapose »

I have always thought that motorcycle horns were worthless...no one even looks, or much less, stops from pulling out in front of me....

I have decided with all this neat technology someone should develop a loud warning device that sounds like locked up brakes and rubber squealing... really loud.... scare hell out of them.. I know I sure would buy one.. I have found yelling is more of a deterrent than the horn.... the proper words help,( at least make me feel better) Years ago, I had a truck air horn on my Model A and that helped some.... especially for the pedestrian walking against the light....

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

hardchew

horn

Post by hardchew »

found an old Klaxon 1920"s (ah ooh gaa) in the Vetter fairing of a 75/5 parts bike. I mounted it on down tube and it is LOUD. Every time I hit the horn button I'm thinking "dive-dive-dive". Its a real head turner.
John