If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

hello from germany

bmw-mechanic

hello from germany

Post by bmw-mechanic »

hello from germany,

my name`s dieter and i`m located in the southwest of germay.

i`ve found your bmw forum by accident, looking whereelse are also interested vintage bmw owners.

the motorbikes you`ve built and restored are very impressive.

i have R65 (1981 model) which i bought new 1981 and an old R90/6 from the first /6 series build in 1973, which i`ve restored completely on my own.

regards

dieter

schrader7032

Dieter - Welcome! A couple

Post by schrader7032 »

Dieter -

Welcome! A couple of nice bikes you have there. Maybe you're familiar with these forums:

http://cms.bmw-einzylinder.de/

There is both an einzylinder and zweizylinder forum at this site. The Einzylinder has an English speaking section for us...good people over there! I hang around the single cylinder forum once in a while...a few of us do.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

Hallo Dieter! Wilkommen bei

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Hallo Dieter! Wilkommen bei unser BMW Oldtimer Forum!

Where in Southwest Germany are you? Do you ride in the Schwarzwald area much?

I keep an R1100RS with a friend in Karlsruhe. I also have a 1981 R65 with over 280.000 kms. I am the second owner.
--Darryl Richman

bmw-mechanic

hello kurt, hello darryl yes,

Post by bmw-mechanic »

hello kurt, hello darryl

yes, the bmw-einzylinder homepage i know as well, but the beemers made in munic is not so my world.

i`m more with the bmw`s manufactured in berlin. the most interresting homepage is the www.2-ventiler.de.

unfortunately, 90% or more of the comments are in german language.

oh, from california to karlsruhe... yes, it`s a small world :-)

i`m located in the black forest area, that`s correct. near freiburg im breisgau.

so we have pretty good locations for motorbiking, like münstertal, kaiserstuhl, kniebis-alexanderschanze, hotzewald and so on.

my fafourite tour is in alsacce, to cross the rhine river and drive direction riquewhir or colmar and then to the grand ballon, col de la schlucht,route des cretes to st.marie aux mines, and the col de ribeauville back to freiburg.

i ownded as well a flyingbrick and was teh years with it , but this was too complicated for me to repair because too little time.
r1100s i ownded only two years, i`ve had problems with this motorbike because the motronic requested by accident a reset and restart. reason was a malfunctioning coding connector plug, which the motronic needs to detect for what kind of motorbike it has to control the fuel injection.
after this experience with confusing electronic control units, i decided to return to the mechanik carbs.

my r65 has a little more than 100 000km, but last year i had to repair the gearbox (needed 3 gear wheels to replace) and the next step to optimize is to build an R85 with Fallert or GMR cylinders.

i`ll try to add some photos soon

regards

dieter

Darryl.Richman

My friend's favorite ride in

Post by Darryl.Richman »

My friend's favorite ride in the Schwarzwald is to go up the Rote Lache, then to stop for kaffee und kuchen at the top.

We also go to Lauterbourg for Flammkuchen and ride in the countryside around Wissembourg. We're both members of a group of riders, mostly on BMWs, that have a rally every summer somewhere in Europe. About 10 years ago we stayed at the Rouge Gazon hotel close by the Grand Ballon, and of course we rode along the Route des Cretes. Last year we were in Friuli in north eastern Italy, and this summer we're going to Mazuren, in far north eastern Poland, where we will stay in a castle that has been converted to a hotel.

Some of the most enjoyable riding I've done in Germany is on some of the Oldtimer rallies. My friend has a Victoria and his friends have let me ride a Rudge, a Douglas and a couple of his Zündapps on these events. There's an event in May called the Richard Küchen Gedachtnisfahrt out of Bad Bergzabern, and I've also been a couple times on an event out of Badminster Eifel. A couple years ago we went down to see the BMW Rohrrahmentreffen, which was held close by Friedrichshafen on the Bodensee. There must have been 40 of these 1920s era BMWs and they all went out in the pouring rain.
--Darryl Richman

bmw-mechanic

hi darryl wow, i know most of

Post by bmw-mechanic »

hi darryl

wow, i know most of these locations , and the flammkuchen too :-)

friedrichshafen, bodensee is my hometown by the way. and there were my motorbikes still located.

i`ve heard as well of this bmw "rohrrahmentreffen". as i remeber this is about 6 or 7 years ago, but i`m not shure right now.
wasn`t that near salem neufrach (markdorf)?

one thing is funny, last year when we met in alsacce, two of my motorbike colleaques from north germany were talking about this masuren motorbike trip which is taking place this year.
and they will join this tour as well. as they told us, this is splitted into more groups.
maybe this is the same tour you`re talking about, and if so, say greetings from the south of germany to dirk and sybille and they should not forget the "zibärtle" schnaps in their motorbike topcases :-).

by the way, stanta cruz.... it is about 20 years ago when i was driving the "no1" from san francisco down to monterey. beautiful tour.

there i`ve found an amusement park in the evening, and i didn`t remember where exactly this place was.
do you kow this park?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsx0nc3u6ttng ... G_0008.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfg3pu9ts223u ... G_0010.jpg

regards and a nice weekend

dieter

bmw-mechanic

my R65

Post by bmw-mechanic »

so this is my old bmw r65, 1981 model.

this i own now 34 years.

and the next is my 90/6, it`s from the first series of the 90, build in 1973. i own it now 10 years and with this project i have had to go all through, completely restoration took me 4 years, wheels, cabelling, all bearings, the front fork, the breaks and so on.

the best improvement to make it really reliable was to change the old bosch rectifier and voltage regulator into a combined silent hektik regulator and to use a helotronik FET switching amplifier to reduce the current flow inside the contact breaker.
a double disk breake i built in last year.

regards

dieter

Attachments
img_2523a.jpg
img_2523a.jpg (400.94 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
img_2327---kopie.jpg
img_2327---kopie.jpg (366.46 KiB) Viewed 2778 times

schrader7032

I'm sure Darryl knows the

Post by schrader7032 »

I'm sure Darryl knows the spots...I decided to cruise the coast. Do you suppose it was the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk?

https://www.google.com/maps/search/amus ... 09d84a3d5e

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

Yes, the Flammkuchen. We

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Yes, the Flammkuchen. We usually go here: http://www.gilbert-lauterbourg.com/

The photos are definitely from the Beach Boardwalk and it's wooden roller coaster. This is about 8km from my house.

I'm sure you're right about the Rohrahmentreffen. I looked it up on the map, and that must be it. (I wasn't driving.) There were two neighbors that both had collections, but one had turned his barn into a museum with bikes and military equipment. It reminded me of my visit to Wolfgang Reichenberger (www.bmw-r12.de) for some parts for my R12. We went into his barn, around the hay wagon, up the wooden ladder to the loft, to look at carburetor parts he had on some metal shelves.

The group I'm with is called Europrez. They don't have much of a website (www.europrez.com). This is the hotel we're staying at: http://www.zamekryn.pl/. I don't think I've met Dirk and Sybille. I will be in Berlin beforehand and meet up with a couple people who are going up to Warnemuende and taking the ferry. Afterwards I'll probably take a few days to ride back across Poland. I only know one word in Polish: Pivo. I will try to learn a few more! Speaking of schnaps, we have a tradition of the Grappa Tree. I have seen Slivovitz and some kind of Likör from Zwetschgen under the Grappa Tree, but not Zibärtle... Something new to discover!

Your bikes are very nice, and I'm sure, being close to the Alps and the Schwarzwald, you have a great deal of fun on them! It's common over here to change out the "diode board"; there are several replacement units to choose from, and Silent Hektik has a good reputation.

My first new bike was an '81 R65. The one I have now was owned from new by a friend. About 10 years ago he bought an F650 single and rode the R65 less and less. Then one day he took it out to ride it and it quit at the end of his driveway. After it sat in his garage for a year, he called me up and asked me if I wanted it. It turned out that the Hall sensor had broken. I was able to get a replacement Honeywell unit for $13. I have been enjoying it ever since. The R65 is light and nimble, so it is a lot of fun on the small roads.

--Darryl Richman

bmw-mechanic

hello karl, hello darryl yes,

Post by bmw-mechanic »

hello karl, hello darryl

yes, the satelite photo remembers me, i had to walk there over a railway bridge to go there.

it was in february 1997, and i`ve found these photographs again when i started to digitize my complete color slide archivs.
(more than 7000 color slides.... was a hard job....)

in the mid of the 90`s i was employed at a british company, working in microwave and cellular base station business, so i had to attend every year to the mtts microwave shows in san francisco and orlando florida.
the microwave exhibitions sometimes have been very boring after 3 days of visiting there all the booths which are on your list.
i preferred more moving as quick as possible to the pier 39 (alcatraz bar) having a couple anchor steam beer :-) and watching the sea lions entering everything swimming landing stage to get some warm californian sun.

i`ve had to stay there mostly over one or two weekends there so i`v e found a car and motorbike rental in the south of san francisco. japanese bikes for rental are not so expensive than the harley davidson`s
they gave me an old yamaha xs650 and a warm jacket, helmet and enduro -boots. weather was nice and i was cruising the no.1 down to monterey. with stop over the night at a small guesthouse near this roller coaster place.

to the zibärtle schnaps i found a wikipedia webpage, bit ist complely in german, if you need translation, i`ll help you.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zibarte

flammkuchen at gilbert-lauterburg is well known to us. they are making one of the best.

your r12 looks nice by the way, ist this the rommel africa corps version?
obereisentdorf, this is near traunstein chiemsee?

interessting, honeywell is manufacturing hall sensors as a replacement of the bosch sensors. do you remember the model number of this hall sensor which fits there as a replacement?
my hall sensor of my r65 is doing its job since 34 years, but i have a working hallsensor tin-can as a spare pat in my bmw sparepart rack. did you dismantle this sensor tin can on your own?

my wife is calling me sparepart sick. i collect everything what i can get as spares for r90 and r65 and also honda and suzuki electric parts.

to do botorbike tours, my wife uses a suzuki bandit gsf600 and i use mostly the R65 and a honda cb750 rc42 model.
the r90 i use when the weather is nice and the roads are clean because i`m lazy and do not want to clean the spoke wheels all the time.

regards

dieter