Hearing protection

MikeL46

Hearing protection

Post by MikeL46 »

You do use hearing protection when you ride, don't you?

Many years ago I didn't. Now I have hearing loss and tinnitus. So I now use hearing protection. Even when I drive my car on trips.

Over the last few years I've tried nearly everything:

- Earmuffs when mowing or in the machine shop
- Foam Earplugs
- Custom molded earplugs
- and more

Generally they all work. I have prolapsed ear canals, so the foam ones are very difficult for me to use. And they get dirty with my heavy ear wax. Earmuffs never work when riding. The custom made earplugs worked well, but after a few years they no longer fit well.

Which brings me to my current solution: Silly Putty
My doctor turned me on to Silly Putty years ago. I take a piece about the size of my thumbnail and seal the ear canal with it. If you have heavy ear wax like I do, then wipe the area clean before putting the SP in place. For me, SP works as well as any of the other solutions I've tried. It's cheap ($1.29 at Office Depot) and lasts a long time. Much easier to install properly than foam rollups, cheaper than custom earplugs and very functional.

Try it, you might like it.

Mike
67 R50/2 w/R100 engine/trans and Ural Sidecar
69 R60/2 76 R90S 78 R100RS
70 Triumph w/Spirit Eagle Sidecar

lauffer6996

Re: Hearing protection

Post by lauffer6996 »

.....so what do you do if it flows down into your ear canal? I would imagine body temps make it more viscous, sounds kinda crazy to me....

MikeL46

Re: Hearing protection

Post by MikeL46 »

Body temp is enough to gently soften Silly Putty. It does not flow.

The doctor that gave me the idea got it from patients that dive and need to keep water out of the ear canal. Even diving 15-20 feet the water pressure doesn't push the SP in.

Been using SP for some years with no issues. I still use the big earmuffs when mowing the lawn or using machine tools.

Seriously, if you don't like the idea, don't do it.

Mike
67 R50/2 w/R100 engine/trans and Ural Sidecar
69 R60/2 76 R90S 78 R100RS
70 Triumph w/Spirit Eagle Sidecar