If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

I am singing the /5 blues

anderson7585

I am singing the /5 blues

Post by anderson7585 »

The story:
My 1973 R75/5 had spent A LOT of time sitting before I got her (the P.O. had her for 27 years and racked-up 800 miles!).

When I got her home I changed all the fluids, got new tires, flushed out the tank and started putting miles on her (life was good) I rode her to the Harvest Classic in Luckenbach (a 646 mile weekend) and she seemed to run fine. After the rally I noticed that she had "sweated" oil onto the freshly cleaned engine cases but that was no big deal.

I cleaned her up and rode down to the Lone Star rally in Galveston, Texas a few weeks later (about 60 miles roundtrip), while there I noticed a small "wet patch" on the ground under the sump and when I got home I saw that she had "really-sweated" oil (I still was not calling it a leak). I removed the sump and found threads hanging out from one of the bolt-holes and a LARGE amount of hard, dry gasket material! I did the Helicoil-thing and on refilling her I had about 100 oil leaks!

At this point I am staying off of her until I get her looked at by someone who knows what's what. I think that a breather failure or a cylinder problem (or both) allowed the crankcase pressure to skyrocket finishing off my already questionable gaskets.

She is going to Boxers by Bruce for: pushrod seals, base gaskets, later style breather, trans input spline greasing, carb rebuilds, fork rebuild, brake adjustment and a major tune (I have always been underwhelmed by her "performance" but I do not have a reference-point to judge by).

At this point I do not think any MAJOR damage was done, I think I'm going to get off "light" this time (around $1,500.00).

Vince
1973 BMW R75/5 (LWB) "Griselda" (stock looking but with logical/practical improvements), 1971 Norton Commando "Commando Bizarro" (a truly strange custom project), 1936 BMW R2 "Ediltrudis" (stock, currently out getting a pro restoration). www.vinceandersononline.com

schrader7032

Rear main seal? That would

Post by schrader7032 »

Rear main seal? That would let oil past and then drain out onto the shelf below the tranny.

100s of leaks? I'm having trouble understanding just where it was leaking from.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

anderson7585

100's may be (slightly)

Post by anderson7585 »

100's may be (slightly) overstating things but oil appears to be coming fron every-joint, the sump is "damp" and there is a damp, dark line at the base of the front cover.

Vince
1973 BMW R75/5 (LWB) "Griselda" (stock looking but with logical/practical improvements), 1971 Norton Commando "Commando Bizarro" (a truly strange custom project), 1936 BMW R2 "Ediltrudis" (stock, currently out getting a pro restoration). www.vinceandersononline.com

spo123

Take a deep breath, look at your TROPHY.....your /5 will be OK!

Post by spo123 »

Hi Vince,
I think that perhaps you are too "anal" about "seepage", "misting", "dampness", whatever you wish to call it. A LEAK WILL LEAVE DROPS OF OIL ON THE GROUND. My personal, 1973 BMW R75/5 LWB WILL always show "dampness" or whatever one would call the discoloration around the base gaskets, oil pan gasket, etc...
Granted, LEAKS from overtightened sump bolts will need to be remedied......Either helicoil or drilled to the next size bolt.....I have NOT been to this point.....I purchased the bike with 42,000 and it was BEAUTIFUL! NOW, the bike has 93,000 miles......some WEEPAGE IS NORMAL.
You and your FINE MACHINE will be OK!
There, I said it......Am I an a$$hole?.......Some says I am and some says I ain't.
I LOVE MY /5 and I ALWAYS WILL......Some stuff frightens me....so be it....I do keep a spare transmission in storage........Maybe we will see me crying sometime soon.....NOT to say you are crying.
I only POST occasionally.... and IF I think that I have something WORTHWHILE to say........I RUN FULL SYNTHETIC OILS.
Best wishes always.....IF I was near you, I would not hesitate to look at your bike and even go riding with you to see who's bike is "faster"....ha!

spo out
spo123 '73 LWB R75/5

schrader7032

Vince - spo suggested

Post by schrader7032 »

Vince -

spo suggested something...are you running synthetic oil? I had heard in the early days that synthetics didn't have the proper seal swelling agents and the oil tend to find gaps pretty quickly. Maybe that's been fixed...or maybe some oils still haven't correct that. If you're running a synthetic, I'd try a dino oil next and see if the problem goes away.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

anderson7585

It's always been Dino oil for

Post by anderson7585 »

It's always been Dino oil for me, I run the Valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil for the ZDDP levels, I am used to British bikes and the rate of oil-loss would not be even close to acceptable on one of them!

Vince

anderson7585

I got a Toyota monster-SUV

Post by anderson7585 »

I got a Toyota monster-SUV rental (my "real car" got slammed-into by an idiot, it's in the body shop). I picked up the trailer and the BMW is loaded, leaving for Pantego early tomorrow to see Bruce. We shall see what he finds.

Vince

anderson7585

Good news on the R75. I spoke

Post by anderson7585 »

Good news on the R75. I spoke with Bruce today and there does not seem to be any problems beyond the Breather and gaskets, apparently through dumb-luck I got it shut off before doing any actual-damage! The Rear Main Seal was the original and it was "in pretty bad shape".

Vince