If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1971 BMW R75/5 securing headlight bezel

boxershorts

1971 BMW R75/5 securing headlight bezel

Post by boxershorts »

Anyone have a good modification or solution to securing the headlight into the shell? I bought a new older Bilux style headlight/reflector/bezel assembly from Hucky's. It keeps popping off and I don't want a $250 pile of glass and chrome in the street. Tried cutting 1/2" wide tabs at the top of the bucket and bending them up, it holds the top fine but I can't get the bottom to stay in. Bruce at Boxers by Bruce said he uses a /6 bezel.
Thanks, John

schrader7032

I believe on the /6, they had

Post by schrader7032 »

I believe on the /6, they had a screw hole in the 6 o'clock position of the ring which then mated with an attachment at the bottom inside of the bucket. I wonder if it would be possible to adapt something like that. A couple of match drilled holes at the very bottom would maybe let you feed some black zip ties or something...feed the zip tie in while the bezel is open at the bottom, then through the hole in the bucket, finally closing the bezel and securing the zip tie. Not elegant but should do the job. But the /6 is the way to go. Also I understand that the R65 setup will work also which allows running an H4 bulb, but then the wiring probably has to be upgraded to handle the extra current.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

anderson7585

My 1973 R75/5 has a

Post by anderson7585 »

My 1973 R75/5 has a later-style rim with the screw at 6 o'clock and a modern headlight but it was that way when I got it so I do not know where the parts came from. I will be working in the bucket tomorrow so I'll take some pictures.

All I know is that the rim is a REALLY tight fit on the bucket (think Well Diggers **s).

Vince
1973 BMW R75/5 (LWB) "Griselda" (stock looking but with logical/practical improvements), 1971 Norton Commando "Commando Bizarro" (a truly strange custom project), 1936 BMW R2 "Ediltrudis" (stock, currently out getting a pro restoration). www.vinceandersononline.com

spo123

very small zip tie!

Post by spo123 »

Either use a small piece of wire OR a small zip tie (I have a white one, currently.....easier to see at night....black is better, for me)...
At the bottom "latch", there are some very small openings....The small tie wrap WILL thread through these openings with a little care.
This method is virtually invisible.
Granted, the stock /5 set up is supposed to latch tightly....however, over the years and one or two headlight "drops".....I went with the zip tie method.
Good luck with your choice.
Ride Ride Ride some More!
spo
spo123 '73 LWB R75/5

boxershorts

Do all the /5 have this problem?.......

Post by boxershorts »

I would think that anyone with a /5 would be using some sort of alternate method to hold the light in. Are any of them still working the way they should? And what about when you hit a big hole?