If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

'84 R80/RT

wbeckwith

'84 R80/RT

Post by wbeckwith »

Hooked up battery charger backwards on '84 R80/RT BMW. Will blame it on low light , hospital stay & stupidity. Turned on key; guages all went wild, pegged out then entire electrical died. Something blew, what? thanks for any help.
wbeckwith

schrader7032

How long was it hooked up

Post by schrader7032 »

How long was it hooked up wrong? If a long time, maybe it's just the battery.

Typically, the weakest part of the system will blow first. I shorted the wires that went my /7 coils...blew the kill switch on the handlebar.

Check easiest stuff first, like the fuses. Not sure where they are on the '84 models...used to be in the headlight...they might be located somewhere under the seat on your bike.

Could be the starter relay. Under the tank, left side of the backbone. It's a black cube about 1" square.

The more problem might be with the diode board, but that is more charging that anything...should prevent the lights from coming on, etc.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

wbeckwith

'84 r80rt

Post by wbeckwith »

thanks. will start looking some more.
wbeckwith

dunne7684

72 R75/5 splutter on take off.

Post by dunne7684 »

Hi I am having a small problem with spluttering when taking off from a stop. It does not matter much if the engine is cold or hot. My plugs are each a nice brown after a long run. The bike is fitted with a Boyer ignition system. I have tried advancing and retarding the ignition without solving the problem. I am confident my float levels are correct.
As its a 72 and i suspect with 120k on the odometer, i have recently rebored it, new timing gears and chain etc. The problem occurs as i am pulling away from a light and giving it gas. I was wondering if there may be wear on the butterfly shaft or carb body or the o ring on same shaft that has been there since 1972 has got old and dry and maybe broken. And as i twist the throttle it allows a gap between the shaft and body which then allows air to be sucked in to the inlet port after the slide/ main jet etc..
Does anyone have experience of this and if so do they have a solution to counteract this wear without having to replace the whole carb. i.e. Is there a bushing much like that used on the Rochester carbs fitted to many Chevy 350 to fix a similar wear problem. Or do i file off the stakeing on the butterfly screws,remove the shaft and replace the o ring and hope for a good outcome. ......Any advice appreciated.
Black Diamond, Alberta . Canada
R75/5 1972 R 100RT 1979 R65 1979

dunne7684

Sorry

Post by dunne7684 »

Got subjects a little mixed up here . My apologies.
Black Diamond, Alberta . Canada
R75/5 1972 R 100RT 1979 R65 1979

spo123

POSSIBLE electrical connections.......

Post by spo123 »

While NOT carb related, I have had a similar experience with my ELECTRICAL CONNECTION at one of the COILS causing a "sputter".
Go through your entire electrical system connections......bright and shiny.....then grease.
IF not the problem, a minor annoyance and a VERY WORTHWHILE bit of precaution.
Conversely, an ERRATIC SPARK PLUG CAP could cause these symptoms.
Good luck,
spo
spo123 '73 LWB R75/5