If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

introduction

Darryl.Richman

introduction

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Welcome to the forum!

Your two bikes should both be good and reliable runners with a little bit of maintenance. But they will like a different riding style than you may be used to. Although you can ride them along at 3,000 rpm, they are happier above 3,500.

Also, the charging system doesn't really come into its own until you're above 2,000 rpm, so if you only ride it a few miles each time you start it, you'll want to invest in a battery tender.

You may find that "preloading" the shifter slightly before you pull the clutch to shift will make shifts smoother and quieter.

Beware the spring loaded side stand, it's not like the one on your Road King. If you use it, make certain when you park that the bike is leaned at a reasonable angle and it's flat or the front of the bike is pointing uphill. I personally believe that BMW has a corporate policy against parking on the sidestand and "encourages" people with the odd sidestands they build.

Although "BMW" means Bikes Made Weird, you may find them growing on you, as they have for many of us.
--Darryl Richman

schrader7032

introduction

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome Aboard!

Those are a couple of good machines...an oldie but goodie in the /6 and one of the latest models in the RT. You might find that the RT will be somewhat warmish in those muggy summers but they offer great protection. You'll find that the R75/6 is some very basic fun riding!

A couple of websites you should be aware of. Snowbum (aka Rober Fleischer) has an extensive site with just about everything you need to know...and more!

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/techindex.htm

Not sure if you're aware of Benchmark Works in Central Eastern Mississippi, in the town of Sturgis. Vech is masterful with these bikes, primarily focusing on the pre '70 bikes but he supports the later models as well. Check out his website:

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/

Definitely worth a trip up there to see his nice museum and just to talk shop.

One thing to be aware of with the '94...BMW omitted a circlip in the transmission which can lead to bearing problems. Snowbum mentions this in one of his tech articles and another website by Anton Largiader has an excellent discussion of this. Just be aware of the warning signs and have a competent mechanic put a circlip on if necessary.

http://www.largiader.com/articles/circlip/

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

roadkingsteve

introduction

Post by roadkingsteve »

Thanks for your reply. Yes the rpm is different and didn't take long to notice. Shocked to see something like 8500-9000 rpm red line. Don't think I'll try it. I was warned about the sidestand and the center stand brings back memories of all the Euro bikes I grew up with (mid-late 60's). Bing carbs are a puzzelment, and I need to find a good sorce for parts here in south Miss.I don't see any one posting photos, is this not cool?Welcome to the forum!

Your two bikes should both be good and reliable runners with a little bit of maintenance. But they will like a different riding style than you may be used to. Although you can ride them along at 3,000 rpm, they are happier above 3,500.

Also, the charging system doesn't really come into its own until you're above 2,000 rpm, so if you only ride it a few miles each time you start it, you'll want to invest in a battery tender.

You may find that "preloading" the shifter slightly before you pull the clutch to shift will make shifts smoother and quieter.

Beware the spring loaded side stand, it's not like the one on your Road King. If you use it, make certain when you park that the bike is leaned at a reasonable angle and it's flat or the front of the bike is pointing uphill. I personally believe that BMW has a corporate policy against parking on the sidestand and "encourages" people with the odd sidestands they build.

Although "BMW" means Bikes Made Weird, you may find them growing on you, as they have for many of us.
Ride safe, be happy!

schrader7032

introduction

Post by schrader7032 »

Pictures are definitely cool! Show 'em if you got 'em!!

As for Bing parts, check with Vech at Benchmark Works. I just looked at his on-line catalog and he shows Bing carb items for post '69 carbs. Also, I've ordered parts from Bing's website or give them a call:

http://www.bingcarburetor.com/

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

VBMWMO

introduction

Post by VBMWMO »

Hello everyone, I'm Steve.
This looks like a great forum and I will be looking for some advice & tips.
As you can tell by my user name I'm more of a Harley guy, but I just had two BMW's fall into my lap. An uncle gave me a 1994 r100rt (50,000 mi) because, as he puts it "just got to old to ride". It's in very good condition but he had not ridden it it over two years. But a little cleaning and some TLC and it runs great. I may keep it, but I think the real gem was stored in his barn under a tarp and covered with junk, it's a 1974 r75/6 (52,000 mi.) It has a windjammer fairing and hard saddle bags and he says it ran fine untill he parked it there in 1999 (he thinks). He said he started it about once a month untill about 2005 when it just wouldn't start anymore. I hooked up a batt. and it turns over and fired but did not start. I will clean the carbs and try to start it but it is more of a project than I have time for. So I will be selling it. My first question is should I sell it whole or part it out?
I kind of like the r100rt and ride it to work often, it's a warm ride, with feet next to cyls. and heated grips. I will be looking for advice & tips on maintenance and care, it's nothing like my harleys. I will try to show pics soon but I'm still learning this forum and I look foreward to chating and makeing new friends,
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.