If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Fairings

schrader7032

Fairings

Post by schrader7032 »

Charlie -

As for an RT fairing on an R90, I think that from a general standpoint, the frame will be the same, but you'd probably have to fabricate special brackets for mounting...plus the electrics would be a bit of a pain. I can't say a I've heard anyone doing that.

If you don't like the Windjammer, then I guess you would like the Luftmeister. I have a Lufty on my /7 and have been behind it for nearly 30 years...I like it a lot and don't consider it that heavy. I believe the story is that the designer of the Lufty ripped the concept off.

There are a number of other aftermarket full fairing such as the Rapid Transit and the Pichler. I used to have a link to quite a few fairings but that seems to be down.

There a quite a few handlebar mount type flyscreens or shields that would go on and off fairly easily whenever you wanted to switch over.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

portablevcb

Fairings

Post by portablevcb »

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've made brackets before (a small machine shop helps :) ) . And, on the older bikes, electrics aren't a problem. No computer to 'manage' lights :) My older bike fairing was modified so that it had speakers, air horns and fog lights. Managed so that if everything was turned on I exceeded the capacity of the alternator :shock:

charlie

schrader7032

Fairings

Post by schrader7032 »

Charlie -

I couldn't track down the original website with various fairings...near as I can tell, the owner took the pictures down.

I was sent another link that provides some visuals of older fairings that were used in the '70s. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

http://www.5united.net/html/fairings.htm

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

portablevcb

Fairings

Post by portablevcb »

FWIW, I looked around at most of those sites and found that there are two left that look good.

The Pichler ones and the Hannigen. Since I'm in the states, if I need one, I will go to Hannigen, even if I have to drive a bike all 2000 miles :D

If you're in Europe the Pichler ones look really good.

charlie

jrapose

Fairings

Post by jrapose »

On my sidecar hauler .....a 76 R90/6 I use a Hannigan....it is way cool...a fine fairing...and looks great..they are still being made so replacement parts are easy to get.....I just replaced my windscreen....

On my solo R90/6 I use a Rapid Transit fairing that I bought NOS from EBAY.... I saw one on the IBMWR website for $400...a fair price ...it is smaller than the Hannigan and much more suited to a solo bike....once you have ridden behind one, you'll admire solo bikes without fairings...but never want one for yourself.... I like long distance and sure could not do it without a good fairing....

Joel Rapose MZ-B Guy
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

portablevcb

Fairings

Post by portablevcb »

Well, I contacted Hannigen Fairing Co with some questions and have had a very nice 'discussion' with Jerry Heil.

www.hanniganmotorcyclefairings.com

Jerry answered all my questions and sent pics of their fairings on various bikes that I was interested in, including a Harley!

If I ever need one, I will buy a Hannigen. They are priced on the high side (well over $1000), but, seems like a first class product that is fit to you and your bike.

charlie

schrader7032

Not a Hannigan, but...

Post by schrader7032 »

Saw this posted for a Rapid Transit...

http://tinyurl.com/3ogylk

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

jrapose

Fairings

Post by jrapose »

Just a while back I bought a NOS Rapid Transit fairing from EBAY for my solo bike...a 1975 R90/6 .... really a good fairing...makes long distance so much easier... and kinda nice on cold mornings too...

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA

VBMWMO

Fairings

Post by VBMWMO »

Am new here and am shopping for a Beemer. Have not ridden for a number of years. Wanted to get another bike for general riding and commuting. In the past I found that a fairing was beneficial for days when the weather wasn't very nice.

I like the earlier bikes, like the R90, but, I like the RT fairings as well.

First question is, do the later model fairings for airheads fit the earlier model airheads?

If they do are they still available from BMW or do I need to go looking for used ones?

If they don't fit were there after market fairings that were similar. FWIW, I never liked the Vetter, Wisco style. They were a bit heavy for my taste.

thanks all
charlie
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.

jrapose

I also have a R90/6 with a

Post by jrapose »

I also have a R90/6 with a later BMW R100RS fairing.... it's ok but I would much rather have the RT fairing on it...

The Hannigan fairing is great, but it also is huge... fine protection, handles the wind well.. solid as a rock.

The Rapid Transit fairing is real nice...and I think for a solo bike is perfect....

Joel Rapose
www.rapose.biz
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA