If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R75/5 1970 Front wheel assembly grinding on right turn.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I would definitely say don't ride it. This really must be figured out...

Pictures would definitely help. Is the axle completely drawn up to the hub? Is the axle put in from the proper direction? On my /7, IIRC the axle comes in from the left when facing to the rear of the bike...I have my legs straddled either side of the front wheel. My /7 also has a spacer sleeve that is inserted, but a check of RealOEM didn't show anything for a '70 /5.

I presume you still have the 14mm axle. Later bikes were upgraded to the 17mm axle.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

c.d.iesel

wanky front wheel ?

Post by c.d.iesel »

back up a moment , please.

Give the complete history leading up to this 'change'
in front wheel alignment.

What repairs?, by whom?

Is this the original wheel assembly to the machine?

Drum or disk brakes?

is disk single ? or double-disk ?

has the disk retracted the brake pads to one side in the caliper (s)?
because it's off centered ??????

do you have the Owner's manual - it shows the parts when removing the front wheel/axle

look at on-line parts site to confirm your placement of spacers,
washers, etc...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?m ... g=36&fg=05
VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.

magnetic

Post by magnetic »

* Drums

It's a 14mm axle, it is inserted from the correct possition. The wheel has been removed by me serveral times for various reasons: replace tire, examine and clean break drums.

The axle looks like

|>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|||||||
|______________--------------------------------------------------------

Where it flanges on the left side is flush with the left bushing of the hub.

I have a haynes repair manual, however the assemby for this bike does _not_ show a bushing, that for some reason I feel should be there.

The break pads do not seem to be wearing oddly, on about 10 tests arround the block.

I'll get some pics up if I can find my camera charges that has been mia for a week.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=36&fg=05

In this figure #9 or #10 is not there, however it is not in my manual. Also that part is not for sale on this site it seems.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

In this figure #9 or #10 is not there, however it is not in my manual. Also that part is not for sale on this site it seems.

Yup, I saw the same thing. I take this to mean that that model and year didn't need those parts. When you say left side, is that driver's left? The axle on my /7 comes in from driver's right. The axle on my '69 R69S comes in from driver's left.

My late /2 arrangement may be somewhat similar to your '70 model. My /2 has no bushing on the left side, but it does have a top hat or sleeve affair that is part of the bearing/seal stack up. Look at this:

I'm talking about #12. On my /2, there's a definite metal sleeve that sticks out of the seal that comes out about 6mm or so. I'm wondering if you're missing some kind of spacer/sleeve like that.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

magnetic

Post by magnetic »

Yup, I saw the same thing. I take this to mean that that model and year didn't need those parts. When you say left side, is that driver's left? The axle on my /7 comes in from driver's right. The axle on my '69 R69S comes in from driver's left.

My late /2 arrangement may be somewhat similar to your '70 model. My /2 has no bushing on the left side, but it does have a top hat or sleeve affair that is part of the bearing/seal stack up. Look at this:

I'm talking about #12. On my /2, there's a definite metal sleeve that sticks out of the seal that comes out about 6mm or so. I'm wondering if you're missing some kind of spacer/sleeve like that.

Kurt in S.A.

There is is sleeve in that orientation that is a little longer in my assemby, however that would cause and offset on the oposite side. When I say left, I mean drivers side.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

When I look at the fender the center line of the wheel is offset to right 3/8"

0___|___ (Fender; 0 is a place holder for blank space)
___|___ (wheel)

It seems at though there is abushing missing in the front wheel assembly on the right side (sitting on the bike.) However my manual does not show a bushing in the assembly there.

Any insight into this? Would pictures help? I am afraid to ride it all the way to Santa Rosa about 50 miles away for fear of hurting the bike or myself.

Also the front breaking power is week despite new cables and carefull adjustment. Could this also be a symptom of a missing part?

Thank you all for your help.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.