If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Accident resolution 75 R60/6 with sidecar

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

To have destroyed the entire front end, the frame, primarily the head tube, probably took a beating. Have you checked the gusset plates on either side of the head tube? They should be flat with no wrinkles or paint cracks. You can read info on this page to provide some other thoughts on what to look for.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/frame/index.htm

Admittedly, it's harder to look for other bent items if you don't have a rolling chassis.

There are some salvage yards around...you might check to see if the parts are readily available to help cut the difference in the offer. A place that comes to mind is:

http://www.airheadsalvage.com

Sounds like you have some time and effort invested in the machine. Tough call as to whether you should stay with it or move on.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

My R51/3 was ruined in an accident 2 years ago. I was hit by another motorcycle from behind, but it broke the frame and caused a lot of other damage. There was no question on fault in the accident, which I feel was important. The other guy's insurance company wanted to total the bike; I was determined to restore it.

First, we negotiated on the value of the bike. I was able to find a few recent sales to back up my claims on the value of the bike. They agreed to the average of the "comps" I found.

Then, I bought the bike back. They charged me 10% of the value of the bike. I believe that the adjuster made a mistake here and that they normally would have gotten bids on the salvage value. So, I got the net value, minus sales tax on the bike. The bike also was retitled as a "salvage", which in most cases would dramatically lower its resale value. (It's possible to "wash" a title, but California would be able to recognize that the title had been washed for a number of years, and I don't plan to sell, anyway.)

I went through about a year and a half of restoring the bike; it's now as good as new, I believe. Because I was able to prove the value of the bike to the insurance company -- and not counting any value for my time and labor -- I believe I came out slightly ahead.

This is just one anecdote. Your story will be different.

You should start looking around to find "comps" for your bike, because this is will probably set the bar for how much your bike is worth. You should also look very closely at what damage you have and what other work you're going to want to do while repairing it.

Check places like Cycle Trader, the Internet BMW Riders Marketplace, eBay and Craigslist to find comps. Check an online dealer website with the parts fiche information, like Max BMW Motorcycles or A&S Cycles to get an idea what new parts will cost. Then add it up and see where you are, to make a really informed decision.

Good luck!
--Darryl Richman

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

well they've told you what they think it is worth

you have a place to start

next you need to know the law in your state

some go by blue book and it is your job to prove your bike WAS worth more and make them pay

you need to have excellent documentation of what your bike is, what it is truly worth, fair market comps, and so on

some states have provisional laws that allow you to force them to replace it with something of equal value and equal condition

think about this and think about their offer thus far

and if you don't know at this point, truly the extent of your damages

paying a qualified, empathetic, and even enraged at the insurance company that is trying to break one off in you.......... kinda shop

to come up with a staggering estimate

I'm sure it would be very easy to verify the frame is bent (and a whole lot more if one inspects expecting absolute perfection and considers replacement of any and all safety items a given) and I'm sure retail pricing can be found on a replacement frame or anything else safety or cosmetically less than how it was before the crash....... and then :( your investment is shot because you no longer have matching numbers and or your bike is not still original.......... part of the real determinable devaluation of your investment

well you'll be one step ahead when all is documented even if it cost you, and then subsequently the insurance company a couple hundred bucks

but you'll need to enlighten yourself to the laws there in order to deal with the adjusters without giving up 33% to an attorney

if you want to get all of the money out of the insurance company

it is doable

however, you may just look at the whole ordeal as not worth it and negotiate with them at their starting point

jrapose

Post by jrapose »

lots of years ago I was involved with an accident.... I parked my truck in a legal parking space....and just in back of the truck was a driveway.... a Harley Davidson parked his POS right in back of the truck... within inches... when I came out of the shop I could not see the POS and backed up, knocking it over.... thats all... just over... I gave them the insurance information and thought that was it....

Next thing I knew my insurance went up.... (first accident in a dozen years or so)...... turns out I did over $15k damage to that POS.... and it was years before my insurance returned to normal....

I know it was done on purpose... and I told the insurance company...they did not seem to care... I know I could not have done that much damage...and they diden't care... I guess I just paid the Harley Dealer to build the guy a custom bike..... Another reason I am not a Harley fan... damm crooks..

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

The front end of my 75 R60/6 with sidecar was destroyed in an accident. (Tire, wheel, forks, head assembly, headlight, switches, speedo/tach - do not know about the frame yet.) Yesterday the insurance company made an offer that is about 50% lower than what I paid for the motorcycle in June of 2006. I just turned 20,000 miles this month and it is in very good condition otherwise.

Any recommendations? I very much want to keep and repair the motorcycle, but the low offer is a challenge. My brother urges me to cash out and start over again since until repairs could be made to get it rolling again, I really will not know if there is damage to the frame and sidecar setup.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.