If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Motorsport

schrader7032

Motorsport

Post by schrader7032 »

This page has a lot of brochures about the '78 models:

http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/

Somewhat down the page lists the various models:

http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/78p4.jpg

It would appear that the Motorsport was limited to the RS models only. You VIN does indicate it is a R100S built in March 1978. At the time, Bulter and Smith was the importer of bikes to the US...they were known to do some swaps and changes at the dealer in order to sell bikes and give the customer what he wanted. It's hard to say how your bike started its life out. It's possible to get more information about the bike from BMW by emailing their Mobile Traditions section. They could tell you how the bike left the factory...

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Blythg

Motorsport

Post by Blythg »

I still cannot find anything on a 1978 R100S Motorsport. I know the paint is original. Seems odd that the '78 brochures do not mention this but when I look in my garage I have one.

Smith and Butler's records are no longer available. BMW only tells me the bike was made March, 1978.

schrader7032

Motorsport

Post by schrader7032 »

Well, you made me think of checking another source...posts on the Airheads forum. This was from Tom Cutter, who worked for Butler and Smith during the era that the Motorsports were brought to the US. Maybe this will add some background.

Kurt in S.A.

"There were a number of 1978 model R100 bikes built with S and RS fairings and painted with the Motorsport paint job. All had Euro-spec motors, which by 1978 was just a larger exhaust and different carb jetting. Since all BMW airhead motors are essentially hand assembled, they could all be called "blueprinted" (a term which is misunderstood and misused more than any other except "3/4 race cam")

The bikes were being built in Germany when the original purchaser, the Austrian BMW importer, cancelled the order, due to weak sales.

BMW contacted their various distributors, and Butler & Smith, Inc., here in the USA, accepted the order, specifying the Motorsport paint shceme which had sold well here the previous year. The bikes arrived here in 1979. I happen to know that, because I was the guy who off-loaded them into the warehouse, while the regular warehouseman was out for surgery.

The Butler & Smith sales force were each alotted a portion of the order, to allocate among their dealers. Each sales rep came up with a slightly different story to explain the provenance of the oddball bikes. Each dealer who got the bikes embellished the story further, hoping to make a list price sale during a very hard sales year."
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Blythg

Motorsport

Post by Blythg »

Thanks for your knowledge and time. I greatly appreciate it.

VBMWMO

Motorsport

Post by VBMWMO »

I have a 1978 R100S Motorsport. VIN# 6163799.
Other than the white paint with the two blue and red pinstrips, is there anything else this had on it. Is the M similar to the BMW "M" cars? Also, mine has a black seat, not blue. Are these Motorsport models rare?

I have searched forever to locate a picture when new but I can only find a R100RS Motorsport. Any help on this bike would be appreciated. My bike is mostly original but want it to look like it did when new. Did it have a blue seat?

Thanks
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.

Kaptainkid1

BMW R100SRS Motorsport

Post by Kaptainkid1 »

Well, you made me think of checking another source...posts on the Airheads forum. This was from Tom Cutter, who worked for Butler and Smith during the era that the Motorsports were brought to the US. Maybe this will add some background.

Kurt in S.A.

"There were a number of 1978 model R100 bikes built with S and RS fairings and painted with the Motorsport paint job. All had Euro-spec motors, which by 1978 was just a larger exhaust and different carb jetting. Since all BMW airhead motors are essentially hand assembled, they could all be called "blueprinted" (a term which is misunderstood and misused more than any other except "3/4 race cam")

The bikes were being built in Germany when the original purchaser, the Austrian BMW importer, cancelled the order, due to weak sales.

BMW contacted their various distributors, and Butler & Smith, Inc., here in the USA, accepted the order, specifying the Motorsport paint shceme which had sold well here the previous year. The bikes arrived here in 1979. I happen to know that, because I was the guy who off-loaded them into the warehouse, while the regular warehouseman was out for surgery.

The Butler & Smith sales force were each alotted a portion of the order, to allocate among their dealers. Each sales rep came up with a slightly different story to explain the provenance of the oddball bikes. Each dealer who got the bikes embellished the story further, hoping to make a list price sale during a very hard sales year."

Kurt in S.A.

So I think I have one of these earlier version of the Oddball R100SRS bike.
My research shows my bike is 1977 BMW R100RS with S fairing. The paint and patina would confirmed it's age but not build type.
Were all 1977 models build with the blue color?
It falls into the US 61811xx vin # for May/77 Production run.
Sounds like B&S pick up R100SRS bikes later in 1978 or earlier 1979? Would BMW send old stock out to the states?
Could a 1977 fall into the range of special order bikes?
Attachments
20150713_194201.jpg
20150713_194201.jpg (80.81 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
20150713_180813.jpg
20150713_180813.jpg (108.27 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
img_2889.jpg
img_2889.jpg (97.3 KiB) Viewed 1850 times