If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

new poster, a few questions..

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

RE: the noise... It would help if you can isolate the noise some, maybe using a mechanics stethoscope or even a long box wrench or cardboard tube. Does the noise change pitch with RPM? In you garage, can you start the bike and hear the noise but it changes a bit when you blip the throttle? If it's in the airbox area, it would be a simple matter to remove the clamshell cover on the left side and pull out the filter and look around. Heck, even start the engine in that configuration and see what's going on. About the only moving thing in that area (other than the starter nose) would be the engine breather valve which, if it has not been changed, is the older type. It's a cylindrical disk (maybe the size of a 50 cent piece or smaller) held down to the case with a spring. With increased internal case pressure the disk lifts off its seat and lets the pressure escape to the right carb, bringing any oil mist with it. That might be broken and creating the sound. There's a newer style, a reed type, which can be used. The older style could potential create the "turkey gobble" sound, especially at idle.

If the noise is not in the airbox but more in the valve area, you would need to reset your valve clearances or maybe there is too much up and down rocker arm play. The two bolts that hold the rocker arm to the head can be loosened and squeezed together with some kind of clamp and then retigthen the bolts. There are specs for the amount of play, but I always look for almost no movement in the rocker with just a hint of oil pushing from around where the rocker arms meet the pillow blocks. Make sure the torque is correct for the bolts. Also, isn't there some kind of alignment process for the EX/IN rocker arms on the early /5s? Later models have the alignment built in.

RE: cleaning... I'm not much of a cleaner, probably give my bikes a bath once or twice a year. I just did a resto on an R69S and couldn't find anything which cleaned the engine case better than bead blasting. Basically, you're best bet is to use one of your favorite cleaners and some elbow grease maybe use a Scothbrite pad or brass brushes. I use a Gunk brand degreaser before I wash which does a decent job of getting the various oil residue and dirt off. For spokes, I would think you could try some emory cloth or something like that in long strips. Wrap it around the spoke and saw it back and forth, up and down along the spoke. Maybe try it with some kind of liquid to help cut the grime.

Good luck...Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

R.D. Green

New poster, a few questions

Post by R.D. Green »

Regarding cleaning: If the paint is in good shape but a little dull and dirty, wash it first with a good automotive car soap. Lots of suds. Then try a good quality cleaner/wax like Mother's. I would only use this one time, though. It tends to eat away at pinstriping if you use it excessively because it contains mild abrasives. Then go to a pure carnauba wax - - Mother's or similar. For gasoline staining around carbs, etc., you can try WD-40 or a spray-on carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. Flush it off with water. For engine casings, I've used a product called Alumabrite which you may be able to find at a marine supply store. You cut it with water and then scrub it in with a plastic tuffy pad or similar and then flush it off with water. Great product. Keep it off the paint. For wheels, aluminum directional signal housings, etc., try Mother's metal polish or Blue Coral metal polish or similar. For serious metal cleaning, you can try 0000 steel wool and one of the metal polishes. Do all this on a rainy and miserable day so you won't feel bad about not riding....

Richard

R.D. Green

New poster, a few questions

Post by R.D. Green »

Forgot something. When you wash the bike, there will probably be places where the car soap doesn't cut it, like wheels, hubs, axles, etc. Get some Simple Green, cut it in half with water, and spray it on the parts. Then clean the parts with an old paintbrush and flush them off with water.

Richard

mikemann313

thanks

Post by mikemann313 »

Hey all,

Thanks for the great advice. I think this weekend I am going to ride out to my friends garage and get all of the cleaning out of the way. As for the noise, I opened the airbox and everything seems to be in order. The noise also stopped, I think it was related to my Spark Plug hole problem (it turned out that the hole was pushing out a lot of air, so for a quick fix a perfect sized nut was put on the plug to keep the air from pushing out) Thanks again.
Mike
White 1972 BMW R60/5 LWB

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Spark plug hole problem?...you didn't mention anything about that. It sounds like you've got a nut sandwiched between the head and the spark plug, effectively pulling the spark plug away from the combustion chamber. Seems like that would only create problems with ignition of the fuel and potentially result in ripping out what little threads you have engaged by the spark plug. Seems like a dicey situation.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Jordan Nygaard

Post by Jordan Nygaard »

Could the noise be one of the bolts holding the drive shaft to the trans. inside the rubber boot? This was mentioned as a problem on earlier bikes.
What a long strange trip it's been

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Hey all,

New poster here, I have a 1972 R60/5 LWB. Picked it up about a year ago and love the bike. I have been working on it here and there and fixing it up, right now it is in good order. Firstly, I was curious about a noise I have been hearing for the past 2 days. I took the bike on a nice Sunday ride for about 50 miles around Philadelphia. When I got back, I noticed a kind of clanging noise, almost like just a screw jumping around in vibrating cube. Does anybody know what this might be ? It sounds like it is coming from around the airbox.
I also have a question about cleaning though. What do you guys think is the best cleaner for the tank? and what do you use to clean the engine ? Spokes on wheels ? Thanks.

Mike
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.