If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

What's the best vintage BMW to actually ride??

schrader7032

Check this website for specs

Post by schrader7032 »

Check this website for specs on the various models. IIRC there's very little difference in seat height as reported. What can affect your "reach" to the pavement might be some upholstery work to narrow the nose of the seat to let your legs point more straight down rather than out.

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/bmwmodels.htm

Another thing to consider is to run with metric tires...they have a shorter profile and can drop the seat down. The downside of this is that the geometry may be affected when not using the speced inch-sized tires (at least for the earlier models; later they went to metric tires). Another downside is that with the bike being lowered, the stock sidestand won't work as well. Possibly using an aftermarket sidestand like a Brown or Farley would solve that problem.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

rimcanyon

Thanks for the link to the

Post by rimcanyon »

Thanks for the link to the model specs. Unfortunately seat height is missing for many of the vintage bikes. R51/2 & R25/2 have a seat height of 28.3", compared to most of the more recent models with 31-33". However the models I am interested in don't have the seat height listed, e.g. R60/2, R50/2. I wonder if the R51/2 seat height is due to the solo seat, and if I could get a similar seat height with an R60/2 with the right seat?

schrader7032

Look on page 10/11 of this /2

Post by schrader7032 »

Look on page 10/11 of this /2 manual:

http://bmwdean.com/1966-owners-manual.htm

I'm not total sure if these numbers are for the solo seat or the bench seat...and there were several variations of the bench seat, a narrow an a wide one. The seat height on my R69S with a Denfeld solo seat (bike on centerstand) is about 33.5 inches.
Kurt in S.A.

rimcanyon

On the first link with the

Post by rimcanyon »

On the first link with the model specs, the seat heights were described as being with the rider in place. So that might account for the difference between 28.5" as reported in the manual and your measurement of 33.5" on center stand, but 5" seems like a lot. The Denfield seat appears to be thicker than the original solo seat, so that probably adds an inch to the saddle height.

firecaptp7

Confused yet? My only Beemer

Post by firecaptp7 »

Confused yet?

My only Beemer today is a 1971 R75/5.
I've been riding /2, /5, /6, /7 and S models since 1972.
I accept each one for what it is and don't try to make it into something it's not.

But as a daily rider for a beginner ... I'd try to find a 1976 R75/6.
750 motor is smoother. 5 speed is better shifting.
More modern brakes, instruments and lighting.
Either a naked bike or with an "S" fairing. Euro bars.
Big fairings can be intimidating and confuse a new rider.

Good luck.
Jerry
BMW R75/5, Honda FT500, Honda ACE, Kawasaki W650, Royal Enfield Military C5

schrader7032

Denfeld vs Bench

Post by schrader7032 »

On the first link with the model specs, the seat heights were described as being with the rider in place. So that might account for the difference between 28.5" as reported in the manual and your measurement of 33.5" on center stand, but 5" seems like a lot. The Denfield seat appears to be thicker than the original solo seat, so that probably adds an inch to the saddle height.

Here are two pictures of my R69S, with the wide Schorsh Meier bench seat and a Denfeld solo seat from Vech. The solo seat is sagging a bit in the middle for some unknown reason. I have since received a replacement from Vech which goes straight across. The shots are from two different distances, so it's hard to really do any measurements, but you can get an idea based upon the tank where the seat height is for these two types of seats.

From my eye, it would appear that the Denfeld height is lower.
Attachments
rtside_denfeld.jpg
rtside_denfeld.jpg (456.34 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
rtside_bench.jpg
rtside_bench.jpg (463.85 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
Kurt in S.A.

rimcanyon

Lowering the seat height

Post by rimcanyon »

From my eye, it would appear that the Denfeld height is lower.

I think so too. In the manual it also says that the solo seat is adjustable to accommodate riders of different weight. I don't know if that is true for the Denfield. There is a lot of room below the solo seat, so I think it would be possible to adjust the height by modifying the support. It might take some creative problem solving. The OEM saddle support is basically a large rubber vibration damper, which seems like a good idea. But not simple to modify.

iagins

There are a series of holes

Post by iagins »

There are a series of holes on the Denfeld seat supports. By moving the saddle to different positions, it lengthens or shortens the arm, making it more or less stiff for different rider weights.

Ira Agins
Santa Fe, NM

schrader7032

Denfeld Adjustment

Post by schrader7032 »

In the manual it also says that the solo seat is adjustable to accommodate riders of different weight. I don't know if that is true for the Denfield. There is a lot of room below the solo seat, so I think it would be possible to adjust the height by modifying the support. It might take some creative problem solving...

The Denfeld is supported at the front (under the rear of the tank) with a simple through bolt on the frame which basically allows the frame (I think it's called a T-bar or T-frame) to move vertically. At the rear, the frame rests on a part referred to as the silent block. It's a rather stiff piece of rubber with a piece of steel embedded in it.

The adjustment is really about moving the silent block forward or back to decrease or increase the lever arm of support. If the silent block is moved forward, more weight of the rider is behind the silent block and the ride would be softened somewhat.

That said, this amount of movement is fairly small and although it moves on a slightly sloped area on the frame, I would think that the amount of vertical movement is quite small. The open area that is under the seat is needed for easy access to the battery especially when removing it...I usually slide mine up and tilt it to get out the rear over the top of the rear fender.

I've attached a picture from a catalog of the typical solo seat installation. This link shows an R69S restoration with the silent block installed towards the top of the page. As I said, the movement of the silent block is quite limited forward or backward.

http://www.snafu.org/restore/2000-02/page2.html
Attachments
soloseatcatalog.jpg
soloseatcatalog.jpg (40.83 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
Kurt in S.A.

rimcanyon

I'll have to wait until I

Post by rimcanyon »

I'll have to wait until I have one in-hand, but I think I can modify the height at least an inch. First I have to find an R60/2 or R69S, but I'm not overly concerned that I can't make it work. Perhaps the Denfeld would be easier to modify than the stock solo seat, but that decision also can wait. Maybe in the mean time someone else who has done something similar will respond.

I read an interesting story about the Apex Garage that said that one of the owners, Rachel Burden, had the same problem, and solved it by putting a board wrapped in a towel down on the fender, in place of the seat. I'm sure she has a more elegant solution now, I should call and find out.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/blogpost/1228796/ ... -the-Rough