If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

What's the best vintage BMW to actually ride??

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Ask 5 BMW owners what is the best bike and you'll get 10 answers!! They all have their pluses and minuses. One thing you might do is look at some previous posts...I believe some of this subject was covered within the past 6-9 months.

Sounds like you're thinking early to mid '70s. Right off the bat, I'd say avoid a '70 model as it was the first year of the /5...growing pains. Also, I think the '74 models had some particular issues, most likely transmissions. I'd say a 1973 R75/5 (long wheel base) or a '75/'76 R90/6 would be bikes I would look into. If 900 cc is too big, consider the R75/6 of the same years.

As for reliability, a lot will depend on the previous owners and you as the new owner. The bikes will need some routine maintenance in terms of bearings, valve adjustments, spline lubes, forks, etc. If the bike has high miles, it might need a top end refurb to bring the performance back or to keep it running stable. I think one needs to accept the fact that you'll be tinkering once in a while.

As for points vs electronic ignition...that's another flip a coin answer. Points are dirt simple once you understand what's going on. Could be fixed somewhat easily by the side of the road. Electronic ignitions can help with performance and can improve the smoothness of the bike. But they can fail...DAMHIK. If you convert to an electronic ignition, carry all of the original ignition parts with you so you can convert back in an emergency. And do your homework when looking into these ignitions. There are 4-6 types available, each with different levels of installation, features, and price.

Happy shopping...

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

eatpasta

Post by eatpasta »

Cool cool cool. Ya, Im not afriad to be tinkering around with the bike at all. After buying the GS, I have grown to like being inside the motor from time to time. THe only bummer part of it, is living in Los Angeles where you not welcome to work on anything, anywhere, that is, unless you own a home and even then not all the time....

I guess the homework start now!

-Cheers!

:wink:
1983 CB1100F - Scarlett
2002 BMW R1150GS - Gladiator

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
TS Eliot

tricyclerob

Post by tricyclerob »

Although not yet considered Vintage, I think for a newer rider an R65 might be the ticket. Light, handles well, and for you, a Sunday afternoon ride would be very different due to the "revability"[ is that a new word?] of the R65. It's quite different than almost every other BMW I've ridden. $2500-3000 will probably land a very nice one.
Tricyclerob

"I like new stuff... especially after it gets old"

redavide

Post by redavide »

I'll put a vote in for an R90/6 -- I have one and it really is a pleasure. It's comfortable, it's got enough power and braking for an old bike, reliable, easy and fun to work on, easy to find parts for, looks good. It's great to take a fairly short day trip with or you can really pack it up and go long.

The stock points ignition has never been a problem -- in fact, the opposite, it's very easy to adjust and maintain, it's extremely reliable and works like a Swiss (German?) clock . . .

The R75/6 is essentially the same bike with smaller cylinders. R60/6 is a bit different (carburetors, brakes, engine)

jrapose

Post by jrapose »

That's a second for me too !! I fell off my GS four times in four months...and said heck with it....too tall.... (I have been riding for 40 years so falling off should not happen.. nromally)

I gave the bike to my son...and bought a 76 R90/6 and love it....perfect size for short guys like me... lots of power and speed... and is darn reliable.... and easily fixable if needed....with lots of used parts around...the perfect answer... GREAT bike...best of all there are tons of nice ones still out there resonably...

Joel MZ-B Guy
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

gregbenner

Post by gregbenner »

I have a 12GS as well and got a '76 75/6 a few months ago. I really like it, runs great, so far very reliable.

greg
1971 BSA Lightning
1947 Flathead 45
R1200GS
several newer bikes

jeff dean

Post by jeff dean »

[h3]Jeff Dean
Friend of the Marque, Co-Founder VBMWMO (1972)
http://bmwdean.com --- http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm[/h3]

[img]http://bmwdean.com/r75-200.jpg[/img]

mearns4389

size

Post by mearns4389 »

Is this second bike really for your girlfriend? How tall is she? I have two friends who would like to get there wives riding BMWs. BMWs are the perfect size, but there wives are to short. (about 5'4") They have looked into leg implants to make the wives taller but the price is exorbitant.
BolDor90/6

c.d.iesel

best to ride ?

Post by c.d.iesel »

Best to actually ride - including handling ??

Any Single-Sided swing arm model, or
go back to any /2 (pre-1966) models with Earles
forkfront suspension

The last of the /7 R65/R80 are the best for road with
the single rear shock, and 'larger' front forks
A "LOW" seat is available for the the short inseam rider
Any of the twin shock models just feel too tall,
have wooden like handling, you feel like your sitting ontop -
rather than IN the bike.

Any Earles Fork model just eats up the miles in pure comfort
The rougher the road/trail - the better it works
VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.

greghertel

Post by greghertel »

Go with a /7. The /6 bikes were sorting out how things worked and there are many year specific parts to keep track of. The models from 81 on had most things sorted and there is a model to suit most riding styles. Hard to beat an R80 for just riding or a R100S for sporty riding and good looks. R65's are inexpensive but do have some specific parts that may not be as easy to find. Ignore that bs about "simple by design". These are complex bikes built from a constellation of pieces and _will_ require tinkering.
The Old Squid
1996 K1100LT
1974 R90S
1960 R69
1947 Harley EL
Plus a bunch of other bikes:-)