If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

What intro would be complete without pictures?

RickStewart

Post by RickStewart »

Hello and welcome! Must be nice to know Beemers inside and out. That's a nice R60 you have. Virginia is some nice riding country; been through it on an R75/5, riding from Texas to Connecticut and back. Very nice pictures. Yes, great way to introduce yourself.

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Welcome to the asylum! That's a great looking /5. And that R80ST will be a fun ride when you get it back together. It's an R80 G/S tailored for the street, perhaps the original Super Motard style bike.
--Darryl Richman

tashtaskale

1975 R60/6

Post by tashtaskale »

Hi
I bought a 12000 miles 1975 R60/6
It is all original and has not been used since 94.
Last ovner left it after it had problem with shifting.
It runs now but If I don't keep the clutch in ti makes a huge noise.
Any opinion is appreciated.
Thank you

tash

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Should I say "They all do that?" Well, sort of, but it's hard to know what you mean by a "huge" noise. The gear box can rattle at idle especially after the oil gets thinned out. People experiment with dino/synthetic/additives in order to promote better shifting. The rattle can be pronounced if the carbs aren't balanced and/or there is differential timing between cylinders. Those with a good ear can tell when the carbs are synched by minimizing the rattle. An aftermarket electronic ignition can allow changing the firing point of each cylinder independently in order to smooth the power pulses.

Now, if you have more than just a little rattle, then maybe there's more going on and it deserves a look.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

finman57

Post by finman57 »

Welcome PGK. Nice to see some one else in the Mid Atlantic area.

Pat
1967 R60/2

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Howdy all.
That's me on my R80ST, with me pa on his R1100S at Panorama, on 211.
That's me at work
Deal's Gap, on a borrowed bike.
And my main squeeze right now. '71 R60/5, 43k on the clock, bought it in june with 38k and have been riding it for just about everything since. even *gasp*—in the rain
more:
I'm a young'in, I work for a well-known BMW dealer in VA, and I have a thing for BMW's. I was raised around them and I haven't ridden anything but. I went to the American Motorcycle Instutute in Daytona Beach, FL, where I received an AMI certification, a BMW factory certification, and a Ducati factory certification. The R80ST in the first picture was a hand-me-down, originally belonged to my father, who bought it new. He used it to train couriers in Washington DC, where it racked up its first 120,000 miles—obviously mostly city miles. I managed another 20,000. Now it's in peices, awaiting a crankshaft re-grind and slight restoration, while I ride the /5.

so, again, howdy.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.