If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Crash bars - love them or hate them?

Kidasters

Crash bars - love them or hate them?

Post by Kidasters »

Hey guys -

Just wanted to start a discussion on Crash Bars? Love them or hate them and why? The R75/5 I'm working on didn't come with any, but you can tell that it had some at one point by marks on the frame. The R100 had factory crash bars (BMW Part #s) that I had rechromed, and they look great. I added one (the big loop) to my R90/6.

Thinking about getting a set for the R75, but wondered what the group thought? I remember reading once on some site that they were a snag hazard and didn't really protect anything. At the same time, I think they look neat.

Discuss!
What do you mean "next" project?

--My wife

weh8127

Re: Crash bars - love them or hate them?

Post by weh8127 »

I must say your bike looks great. The consensus among the crowd I hang with is that you're better off going down on the heads than on that big bar bolted to the frame the way it is. As for the double loop type that wrap around the heads low on the frame, I couldn't say. I've never used either.
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

The bars came on the /7...I think they are from Bulter&Smith product line. I've always liked them, have saved my valve covers from the 1 or 2 tipovers. I don't think about what might happen if I should go down at speed...I think there are more issues to be concerned about than what might/might not happen to the heads/cylinders.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I have factory bars on my RT, only used them once and it saved me a broken fairing and paint cost.

I have never dropped a bike hard enough to break open a valve cover, but I would scuff a bar than take a chance.

As for a crash, I don't count on them to do much. The three crashes I have been in they would not have helped or hindered.

Haven't ever leaned over enough in 40 years of riding to snag them. They are a great place to mount extra lights. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Kidasters

Post by Kidasters »

I think I'm going to put the Krause wrap around crash bars on the R75/5.
What do you mean "next" project?

--My wife