If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Basic maintenance, parts sources etc.

R755

Basic maintenance, parts sources etc.

Post by R755 »

Hi all,
I have a 73 R75/5 that is in excellent shape. The previous owner had it for 30 years and was meticulous with maintenance and care.
I now need to start maintenance on it. I have decades of experience working on BMW (and other) cars, from oil changes to complete engine rebuilds. But I don’t have any experience with BMW motorcycles.
A few questions:
1. What is a good parts source (I’m in So Cal, but mail order is ok)?
2. Is there a good, simple webpage for basic maintenance tasks? I only ride a couple hundred miles a year (sometimes less), so I assume it’s mostly keeping the fluids fresh. I looked at the Snowbum site, which I appreciate, but even as a very fast reader it’s more info than I need.

R755

Re: Basic maintenance, parts sources etc.

Post by R755 »

I’ve googled it, but surprisingly not with great results.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! As for parts sources, it probably comes down to what type of parts you're looking for. For electrical, a lot of peple reference EuroMoto Electrics (or EME) but there are others like Motorrad Elektrik. For mechanical parts, MaxBMW is probably the most knowledgeable in Airheads these days. I get all my stuff from my local dealer, hoping to keep them in the "business" of supplying parts for my older machines. In California, I'd consider Irv Seaver BMW and Ted Porter.

As for maintenance, clearly the thing to do is service all the usual things like fluids, make sure there's good rubber on it and the brakes are good. Set the valve clearances, get the timing right. After that, you just begin to listen and look and fix the things that crop up. As for a maintenance list, about the only thing I've seen which is a bit dated is this:

http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~deroo/bike.d ... icing.html

Notes on that page says it comes from the owners manual.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

R755

Post by R755 »

Perfect, thanks!

srankin

Post by srankin »

More in depth repair videos can be found at Boxer two Valve's website and perhaps Brook Ream's website.

Most everything that needs to be maintained is easy. Buying a well maintained bike is a great thing it means less headaches for you.

Have fun riding, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS