If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

74 R60 Dead Battery

srankin

Re: 74 R60 Dead Battery

Post by srankin »

I will check a couple of things and get back to you.

Do you have a continuity check device or any kind of voltmeter? What test devices do you have on hand? You could quick check to see if voltage is getting to the bulb.

You have done the first easy step. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

srankin

Post by srankin »

So I dug out my charging system book written by Rick at Motored Electrik years ago and perhaps still available on line.

Hopefully I can type this all without error.

If the charge light does not come on at all, DISCONNECT THE THE BATTERY GROUND CABLE FIRST! Remove the front engine cover and then reconnect the battery ground. Remove the wire from terminal DF on the alternator, Then turn on the ignition. Next, touch the wire you removed from the DF terminal to ground. The charge light should now be burning brightly. This verifies the condition of the power supply, and the wiring between the bulb and the alternator. This test is usually the first verification of a failed rotor winding or open circuit. If the bulb still does not light check the bulb, (done)
IF the bulb is good the wiring from the bulb to the ignition switch must be inspected for damage ie breaks, chafing or bare spots. On /5 and /6 models the fuses should also be checked. The power supply to the charge light bulb from the ignition switch goes through one of the fuses. (This is something I was not aware of, so a blown fuse could be the problem if you are lucky)
The article goes on to mention the printed circuit and plastic frame being causes of problems due to hairline cracks in the thin copper strip at one or the other side of the bulb holder. It can be hard to see, use a pencil eraser to clean and inspect.
You have done this but I repeat it.

Particular attention should be paid to the light blue wire that runs between the large light and the diode board. On /7 and all subsequent models there is a two wire white plastic connector plug. It is found above the top of the engine toward the front. Often the blue wire vibrates against the frame causing wear and shoring to ground or breaking altogether. Tie this wire to the frame with ties or tape.

The blue/black DF wire, running from the alternator brush terminal to the voltage regulator would be checked as well.

srankin

Post by srankin »

20230520_193437.jpg
20230520_193455.jpg

ARC8ECT

Post by ARC8ECT »

Thank you so much. On it tomorrow

srankin

Post by srankin »

I am not sure if Rick has anymore books in stock, mine came from the UK. This book is well worth having on hand if you are going to do your own work. An internet search might show up other places to buy. St.

http://www.motoelekt.com/goodstuff.htm

srankin

Post by srankin »

Any update? St.