If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

ATE brake caliper adjuster pin is stuck in the caliper

keithr906

ATE brake caliper adjuster pin is stuck in the caliper

Post by keithr906 »

74 R90/6
I ran an 8mm bolt up inside the adjuster pin and the caliper will turn a bit in one direction, the same direction as the bolt turns clockwise. At least the caliper turned. It does not want to turn in the other direction while trying to do so only loosens the 8mm bolt I am using.. I have seen video where that pin is just pulled down and out by that 8mm bolt for servicing but not mine. With a 4 inch should bolt (8mm) turn securely into the adjuster pin, I grabbed the shoulder with a vice grips and moderately tapped downward to try and coax that pin out of there but no dice. So for now I shot a bit of penetrant in the small openings top and bottom of the caliper. Heard 50/50 acetone and ATF is possibly the best at releasing stubborn corroded fasteners. Anyway, suggestions are for sure welcomed about this deal. I need to free it up before I bleed the system having just had the master cylinder brass sleeved by Apply Hydraulics and a new brake hose. If I can release that pin I will probably pop off the caliper and have a look at its piston and cylinder to cover all the bases. Although clean fluid dribbled out when I cracked the vent bleeder. Thank you.

keithr906

Re: ATE brake caliper adjuster pin is stuck in the caliper

Post by keithr906 »

I freed the pin by using a 3/8 drive 13/16 socket, the 8mm 4" bolt and a few washers making a puller from those items. It finally sounded off with 2 loud pops at the top and bottom pin locations on either side of the caliper surrendered to the pressure. Caliper is off the bike ready for disassembly inspection.

srankin

Re: ATE brake caliper adjuster pin is stuck in the caliper

Post by srankin »

Good news, and thanks for sharing the tip. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS