If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Airhead steering head bearing race pullers

keithr906

Re: Airhead steering head bearing race pullers

Post by keithr906 »

srankin wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:54 am
Well, as for other pullers, Cycle works has this one listed, https://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=64

As for borrowing, maybe a member in your area will see this and get in touch. I have never checked out if the Vintage club has a membership list like the BMWMOA or I should say the MOA has the Anonymous book or list on line where people list services or help for towns. For example I list work space and working tools available. Want to ride up we could do it in an afternoon, LOL. Good luck. St.
Thank you. Looks a lot more reasonable and Brooks Reams has a video tutorial using that tool. I can do this job here but it is nice of your to offer. Where are you located, btw?
Last edited by keithr906 on Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

keithr906

Post by keithr906 »

srankin wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:12 pm
I have heard of some people carefully cutting the races out, not me. I guess if someone has a steady hand and the proper cut out tool grinder, it could be done.

Really the biggest pain in changing the bearings and races is installing the new races and assuring they are seated properly.
It is at that point a good tool makes sense. St.
Understood. Thanks

keithr906

Post by keithr906 »

Jim D 5112 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:44 pm
Are you sure that the bearings are bad? I had notchy feeling front forks that was from very old hard grease.
Great idea. Starting with that. Probably has 50 year old grease.

keithr906

Post by keithr906 »

srankin wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:19 am
Are you sure that the bearings are bad? I had notchy feeling front forks that was from very old hard grease.

I should smack myself on the forehead for not suggesting this. I do remember in past history BMW used grease that would harden over time in the steering heads.

So hopefully you haven't yet pulled the races? If you haven't, you can clean them very well of old grease, clean the bearings and with things dry no grease, spin the bearings in the races. You can feel the notches from where the rollers pounded into the race. If this happens, replace everything. Oh sometimes when the races have been cleaned you can also see the areas where the rollers have pounded into the race. if you see this, replace everything.

Sorry I didn't think of this before. St.
I follow you on that. Thanks

keithr906

Post by keithr906 »

cbclemmens wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:20 pm
Kieth;

Sometimes just over tightening the damper can give it that feel as well. Do what St. said and see.

Craig

BTW if you have to install new races, put them in the freezer overnight, heat the frame with a hot air gun or torch (careful not to damage the paint) and the should slip right in.
I did a damperectomy and am leaving it off. I read about the freezer method. Good call.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I am near Rochester NY, I have a lift and tools, some knowledge and also I know of a airhead only shop within reasonable distance if I screw someone's bike up or mine.

I just used my steering damper a couple of days ago in high cross winds. Not sure if it is proper but it cut down on the out of control feeling I was getting being blown about. A lot of people say get rid of the damper, and I admit I don't use mine much at all but when I do, I am happy it is there and working. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS