If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Airhead steering head bearing race pullers

keithr906

Airhead steering head bearing race pullers

Post by keithr906 »

October 1973 R90/6 35,750 miles
Greetings! I am waking up this bike that my dad bought in 1974. It sat indoors for around 10 years in total and had very good service history until that time. The head bearing action is a little notchy so replacement is justified. So far the only tool that I can see for the job of pulling the upper and lower hear frame races is an expensive puller for sale at the respected Boxer2valve company. Does anyone know of options to buy for less money or possibly a rental program out there?
Thank you. Keith in Scottsdale, AZ

schrader7032

Re: Airhead steering head bearing race pullers

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! Maybe Cycleworks has something that will fit the bill:

https://www.cycleworks.net/
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Well, as for other pullers, Cycle works has this one listed, https://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=64

As for borrowing, maybe a member in your area will see this and get in touch. I have never checked out if the Vintage club has a membership list like the BMWMOA or I should say the MOA has the Anonymous book or list on line where people list services or help for towns. For example I list work space and working tools available. Want to ride up we could do it in an afternoon, LOL. Good luck. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

keithr906

Post by keithr906 »

I see that Cycle Works has a race puller for $59 to pull the head bearings. The puller they sell to get the bearing off the shaft costs the same. Still trying to get something for less $$.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I have heard of some people carefully cutting the races out, not me. I guess if someone has a steady hand and the proper cut out tool grinder, it could be done.

Really the biggest pain in changing the bearings and races is installing the new races and assuring they are seated properly.
It is at that point a good tool makes sense. St.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

If you're a welder, putting a bead on the race will cause it to deform and come off easily.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Jim D 5112

Post by Jim D 5112 »

Are you sure that the bearings are bad? I had notchy feeling front forks that was from very old hard grease.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Are you sure that the bearings are bad? I had notchy feeling front forks that was from very old hard grease.

I should smack myself on the forehead for not suggesting this. I do remember in past history BMW used grease that would harden over time in the steering heads.

So hopefully you haven't yet pulled the races? If you haven't, you can clean them very well of old grease, clean the bearings and with things dry no grease, spin the bearings in the races. You can feel the notches from where the rollers pounded into the race. If this happens, replace everything. Oh sometimes when the races have been cleaned you can also see the areas where the rollers have pounded into the race. if you see this, replace everything.

Sorry I didn't think of this before. St.

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Kieth;

Sometimes just over tightening the damper can give it that feel as well. Do what St. said and see.

Craig

BTW if you have to install new races, put them in the freezer overnight, heat the frame with a hot air gun or torch (careful not to damage the paint) and the should slip right in.

keithr906

Post by keithr906 »

schrader7032 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:51 am
Welcome to the forum! Maybe Cycleworks has something that will fit the bill:

https://www.cycleworks.net/
Thank you. Looks a lot more reasonable and Brooks Reams has a video tutorial using that tool.