If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Jebones

Re: Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Post by Jebones »

@SDCR The can with points has a single screw for the cover plate and the electronic one has 2 screws.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

Jebones,

👍
1983 R100
2000 R1100

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

The VIN typically was stamped at the base of the oil dipstick on the left side. I think it's pretty clear that your bike at the points-in-a-can ignition system...at least it should have had that. This RealOEM image should be what you have:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=12_0741
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Regardless whether your bike is a 79 or 80, it will be the points in a can. Like I have said, electronic ignition came out in the 81 models. Now I can not be certain when the actual release of 81 models occurred. BMW like a lot of companies release certain model years to sales the year before they are badged. For example selling a 2024 car at the dealerships in late 2023.

So yes, your bike could have been built and sold in 79 but is marked a 80 year bike. LOL, just confuses things for us for no good reason. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

@schrader7932

That’s the confusing thing. The diagram you linked to listed is not what I have. That diagram has a single screw cap, and points. Mine has two screws which corresponds to a later style electronic. I posted a pic a few day ago.

I’ll get the engine casting number tomorrow. It might be a replacement engine?

srankin

Post by srankin »

Yes, it could be a newer engine installed or, it could have a replacement ignition system from Alpha installed. Motorad Electrk for years sold the Alpha electronic ignitions systems for point replacement. Their parts looked very close to BMW's electronic ignition parts so perhaps at first glance you could think it was a factory system?

IF it is a true electronic ignition system either factory or replacement (Wedgetail the new company uses very distinct parts) Alpha system, there will be an ignition module located somewhere. On the factory OM systems the module is mounted directly under the gas tank and can't be missed. On the after market systems the installer was given a choice of places to mount the module. As I said on my 78, I mounted mine using the two Gas tank hold down studs or just over the top of the air cleaner.

LOL, if you have electronic ignition great! If not, so sad, points suck and are old tech. St.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I believe the '81-on ignition could be retro fitted to the earlier bikes.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I have not heard of anyone in my group of people ever installing the 81 and newer ignition system onto older bikes. As far as it goes, I can imagine the 81 and newer system would almost certainly fit onto the 79 and 80 bikes as the bean can's are about the same. IF this was done, and I say it again, there would be an ignition module someplace on the bike.

From my experience with installing my Wedgtail system, all of the 81 and newer factory wiring could be used to upgrade older bikes without a lot of muss or fuss. At least the 79 and 80 bikes.

For the 78 and older bikes, I know but can't be certain the cam is different as it has the advance weights and points mounted differently. LOL, I am too lazy to look on a microfiche. I do not believe bean cans with points or without can be mounted on bikes older than 78. A look at a microfiche would confirm this. St.

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

Well I’ve got the answer, and as usual, I was over thinking it and relying on the Clymer Manual.
Two things confused me. First was the bean can has 2 cap screws, and according to the Manual those were electronic. The single screw were points.
Secondly, there is, or was, a module zip tied under the tank just in front of the coils. Turns out it was a Cobra alarm, lots a wires and a second horn. I say “was” because it’s gone.
I pulled the (stuck) cap and lo and behold ….points!

I have a carb rebuild kit arriving tomorrow and the carb bodies have been cleaned. Next will be to check valve gaps.

Apologies for leading us down a rabbit hole!

srankin

Post by srankin »

Ask Alice, rabbit holes can be an adventure, LOL. Glad you have your answer. Wise choice ditching the alarm. To be honest, in all the years I have worked on my bikes, other bikes and been privy to watching my airhead shop guy work on bikes, the best thing any BMW owner can do is KEEP THE WIRING as close to original as possible and only add on really needed items that have simple easy to understand wiring.

LOL, I had a friend buy a bike with an alarm installed and honest to god it looked like a bundle of jumping snakes. The previous owner had cobbled it into the ignition system for some reason and there it failed causing running problems. Luckily it did not take a whole lot of effort to remove and restore the OM wiring.

Rambling, sorry, Cheers, St.