If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Jebones

Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Post by Jebones »

Newbie here. I just picked up a non-running R80/7, at an online estate auction. It didn’t even list the year. It has a single front disc so from what I have read, it might be a 1977? It sat in a walkout basement on a farm in middle of Ohio. What I know so far: engine rotates when pushed in gear, gas tank is clean, no rust. Front caliper frozen, Windjammer fairing, original tool kit, 3 Samsonite hard bags w/ rack.

I’ll be looking for advice on parts and common issues to be aware of when resurrecting. I’ll go through the fuel and ignition and change all fluids and get it fired up. Then brakes and tires. I’ve got experience with vintage Italian car restoration, but a German bike is completely new to me.
Attachments
90042F0D-D02E-4890-895E-0DF621D84F22.jpeg

SDCR

Re: Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Post by SDCR »

Looks pretty much complete. Fun project.

I resurrected a R100 in about the same condition last year. Had to evict the mouse family from the top of the air filter.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! I believe the bike is later than a 1977, likely a 1979 or 1980...the VIN can be used to determine the build date. The air filter is the later type, not the older clam shell. The carbs are the 94mm style not the 64mm style. I also notice that the snowflake wheels, also later than 1977, are the ones that are on a national recall list. BMW was required to replace the wheels but I believe the number or replacements rims has run out, so getting them replaced are difficult. Info here:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/19inchrecall.htm
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, one of the best barn finds I have seen in a long time. Looks like a great project bike in pretty good condition. A real plus if the inside of the gas tank still has the orange liner intact.

You may get lucky and just have to do some minor stuff to get it road worthy. Tires most likely will be shot from age, I wouldn't trust them. Oil change and gear oil change, look for water in fluids, there is the main engine oil, transmission, drive shaft and final drive.

The master cylinder is under the gas tank and old fluid there being water loving could have caused the worst damage.

Any signs of critter invasion? mice love to climb into the mufflers and store seeds, they also like the air cleaner. LOL, I have seen some big internal messes when the air cleaner is opened up and the mouse house is revealed.

As for year, it is most likely after 77, a 78 and newer as 77 bikes were 750cc, a one year only model, the R75/7.

Anyway, keep us posted on the rebuild, good luck, there are a lot of online resources now that didn't exist ten years ago. St
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

Thanks for the info, just the kind of knowledge I’ll be needing to save time, energy and money. I’ll be away for the weekend and will do a complete survey next week and post my finding.

I’ll inspect the wheels, air box, etc.
The gas tank does have the original orange/red lining.

If replacement recall wheels are not available, does the dealer offer others or will I have to purchase aftermarket on my own?

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I don't know all the details on how wheels get replaced. I've heard some dealers would just replace them if you brought in a loose wheel, but some dealers would only replace them if the records showed you as original owner. There might be a master list somewhere and if the bike's VIN shows that the rims were replaced, you probably can't get a replacement again. These rims are scarce and there's no way to know where they are. I'd heard that the silver ones were gone but gold anodized rims were still around...these were meant for RS/RT models.

So likely all you can look to do is find an aftermarket wheel. The original /7 series came with spokes...not sure if the later bikes can be refitted. Lester wheels were a popular aftermarket option back in the day.
Kurt in S.A.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Yeah, the early /7 bikes had spokes. In 78, it seems the wheels went to snowflake on the 78 RS, S bikes but could still be found on some of the 100/7 and R80/7. I am guessing but I would bet BMW went all snowflake wheels in 81.

Used wheels are out there, but like anything it is a gamble on buying a used one.

There was a podcast online look for BMW 247 podcast. One of the fellows covered in detail the wheel recall. While I won't start a discussion here, it might be fine to just keep the wheel you got. Hey, I am not an expert, I just listened to one discuss the issue and drew conclusions.

Regardless, the podcasts are very interesting. Good luck, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

here is some good info on the snowflake wheels: https://www.forum.boxerworks.com/viewtopic.php?t=9840
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 1974 R90/6 Hack / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

Thanks everyone for the input. The wheel issue is interesting, I'll check out the podcast.

Well I finally got to spend some time with the bike and here's what I found so far:

VIN 6126144
Emissions tag on rear fender says 1980
Front brake master is seized up.
Engine oil is clean, gas tank is bone dry and no rust.
Front wheel is original 19 in. Snowflake without any hairline cracks.
Sparks plugs black with carbon.

Hooked up a jump pack and all lights, horn and dash lights work,
With new spark plugs out and resting on the head, engine turns freely with the
starter and has good spark.

Pulled the air box and found mouse nest.
Removed the master cylinder.

Next steps, buy a battery, change the motor oil and drive shaft oil, pull the carb bowls and inspect.
Rebuild the master cylinder and start it up.

Advise on rebuilding the master? A quick Google and the prices are high for a new/rebuilt one.

From what I see so far, it appears the previous owner prepped the bike for (winter?) storage. Drained the tank and changed the oil. So far I'm very pleased with the bike. Its dirty but all intact.
Attachments
IMG-5144.jpg
IMG-5143.jpg
IMG-5142.jpg

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

VIN dates to 11/1979 so a 1980 model.
Kurt in S.A.