If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

cbclemmens

Re: Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Post by cbclemmens »

Putting the race in the freezer overnight and warming the hub with a hot air gun should let them go together easily.

Craig

srankin

Post by srankin »

I doubt the heat needed to cure powder coat is all that high, at least I would imagine it not to be high enough to weaken the wheel alloy. St
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

SDCR wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:37 am
I don’t have any experience with the front wheel bearing setup, or I would have chimed in.

However, I do have a soft spot for vintage Alfa’s. Would you please share a couple of pics of yours?
Here's a pic of a 67 Duetto that I did a ground up restoration. Drove it for a few years and sold a few
years back on Bring a Trailer. That's my barn/shop in the background
A02849B5-2A82-4B00-B587-53E1742A7FB6.jpeg
68355096-60F3-4EA3-A4B4-BA89EB69B5E2.jpeg

srankin

Post by srankin »

Cool, St.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

Jebones wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:08 pm
SDCR wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:37 am
I don’t have any experience with the front wheel bearing setup, or I would have chimed in.

However, I do have a soft spot for vintage Alfa’s. Would you please share a couple of pics of yours?
Here's a pic of a 67 Duetto that I did a ground up restoration. Drove it for a few years and sold a few
years back on Bring a Trailer. That's my barn/shop in the background
A02849B5-2A82-4B00-B587-53E1742A7FB6.jpeg68355096-60F3-4EA3-A4B4-BA89EB69B5E2.jpeg
Very nice boat tail spider.

Is this you, driving the Spider in anger? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfZKoMFjrhc

I imagine it was a difficult to watch this beauty drive away...
1983 R100
2000 R1100

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

I know we’re straying off topic but I’m always willing to talk Alfa’s.

It was sad to see the Duetto go but I wasn’t driving it a lot and had other projects to get to.

That video is me driving my 1983 Alfa GTV-6 at the 2019 Alfa National meet time trials. The car is street legal but track prepped with 3.0L engine, cage and suspension work.

Pittsburgh International a race complex is a fun track. They host a lot of bike events.

Back to the R80. I’ve got the snowflake wheels all cleaned and prepped for new tires and bearings.
The recommended links have been very helpful.

As soon as I get it together and the NE Ohio weather cooperates, I’ll post some videos.

I’m considering ditching the Windjammer but I’ll need some front turn signals. The stalks and wiring are there but no lights.

srankin

Post by srankin »

All the parts are available to install the factory signals, it is not a terribly hard job to do, maybe a full day if you have a good idea of how things come apart and go together.

Look close maybe some of the parts you need are there just turned inward to miss the fairing? St.

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

srankin wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:05 pm
All the parts are available to install the factory signals, it is not a terribly hard job to do, maybe a full day if you have a good idea of how things come apart and go together.

Look close maybe some of the parts you need are there just turned inward to miss the fairing? St.
The chrome stalks and wiring are on the bike. The previous owner bent them up at a 46 degree angle to
clear the faring and wrapped in electrical tape. Bending them down may crack the chrome but not too concerned about that right now. I just need the housing and lenses. I have seen them for sale on line.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Well that is a good thing provided they can be bent back into shape.

I did a set on a friend's bike a couple of years ago, the previous owner had rotated them inward and cut the ends off as well. To add insult to injury, he installed a set of crap LED lights on the fork/fender brace using the wrong diameter bolts compromising the fork brace and fork action. I was very happy to help my friend cure this Previous owners disease and return things to proper function.

At least the PO didn't cut the stock wires short, we just cut off the cobbled addition he had installed and put a terminal end on. Sorry, I don't remember exactly how we grounded the bulbs, There was no ground wire I recall, I think they ground internally to the metal stem. Teflon memory doesn't help you much I am sorry. Good luck, St.

WaizTamashWaizTamash

Post by WaizTamashWaizTamash »

srankin wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:31 pm
I would not pull the carbs apart just yet, I think as you do, you may have the bike running very soon.

Everything points to the bike being stored properly and prepared for storage properly.

I personally would take the risk of putting fresh gas in it and firing it up in the belief there is not any major crud or boogers in the carbs.

Before you fire it up remember the airhead tune-up order; valve adjustment first, points, timing second, carbs last.

Again, I doubt you will have any problems. St.
Dont you mean it is not being stored properly?