If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

SDCR

Re: Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Post by SDCR »

Glad it worked out. These old airheads aren’t the most exciting machines on the road, but they have a certain charm, and do grow on you.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

Great news. I have a cousin who has a stream side camp on Chautauqua lake, I used to fish it years ago when I had my boat. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Where in Western PA? I'm in Westmoreland County east of Pittsburgh. BTW this Sunday there is a "Blessing of the Bikes" event in nearby Murrysville at noon. We usually get several thousand bikes of all kinds (mostly Harleys). Then there is an "after party" at the Shooting Bull Tavern about 3 miles from my house. Maybe if you've got it running you could stop by.

Craig

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

cbclemmens wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:49 pm
Where in Western PA? I'm in Westmoreland County east of Pittsburgh. BTW this Sunday there is a "Blessing of the Bikes" event in nearby Murrysville at noon. We usually get several thousand bikes of all kinds (mostly Harleys). Then there is an "after party" at the Shooting Bull Tavern about 3 miles from my house. Maybe if you've got it running you could stop by.

Craig

I live just south of Youngstown OH and work in Sharon PA. The ride from Sharon on Rt 62 through Franklin, Oil City and Titusville up to western NY is beautiful. I’m here for the weekend doing some Spring cleanup. Hope to get on the water for a little early season kayak fishing. The weather is unseasonably warm!

Western NY has some great back country roads and a lot of wineries and micro brews. Hope to be the bike here soon.

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

The weather has been great so I've ridden about 140 miles in the past few days. Running well but discovered a few things.

When shifting from 4th to fifth, if I don't pull up firmly, it seems to be in between gears? like in neutral. I pull in the clutch and pull up harder and get 5th. Never happened on the downshift or shifting between any other gears.

Transmissions, especially sequential boxes, are my weak point knowledge wise. I didn't think it was possible for a sequential box to not "be in gear" except neutral. I thought it would either stay in 4th or go to 5th, no in-between?

Also the clutch slips a little if I accelerate hard in 3rd gear at about 4-5K RPM. Never in any other gear. I adjusted the cable at the lever and it is slightly slack at the transmission when the lever is fully released. I don't anticipate riding that aggressively, I only did it a few times while testing full throttle acceleration from a stop up through the gears.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

There are "dogs" and slots in the transmission...if the dogs don't go into the slots, it will be in-between gears. Sounds like you might relook at your cable adjustment. Tom Cutter has what to do here:

http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.co ... stment.pdf

You might also need to get the transmission input splines cleaned and lubricated.

Finally, you might want to adjust your foot shifting technique. When pulling up with your foot on the lever, just hold it up all the way through the hand lever pull and release. As you let out the hand lever in a normal fashion, the dogs should find their slots. I had/have this issue on my /7 and was told by Oak Okleshen to do this. As long as I'm patient and wait on things, the shifting goes fine for me.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

So after my long ride I determined that the front wheel needed balancing. Some up and down vibration at 50-60 MPH. I failed to ask the cycle shop to balance it after mounting the tire. I borrowed this, (https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycl ... 58738.html) from my neighbor. (I know, I know , Harbor Freight, iffy Chinese junk. Never buy anything that requires any precision tolerance under, I don't know, 1/4 in,!) But he had it and offered it. As is, it's useless with the design of the conical roller bearing design on these wheels. The cone centering sleeve engages the "top hat" and not the bearing inner race, resulting in a fair amount of wobble, unless you pull the seal and top hat to engage the bearing race.

Well I found a work around. Move the balancer upright arms to the narrow holes, use the BMW front axle which engages the inner race, and a deep well socket to make it a little longer to reach the balance rollers. I also bought the Harbor Freight 1/4 oz stick on weights.

It worked surprisingly well. I added 1.5 oz to the light side of the wheel and then went for a spin. The vibration at 50 -60 MPH was gone. Just beware, the tape on the Harbor Freight weight is less than prefect, so add some tape for a "racy look" or better adhesive. I'm thinking hot glue!

Here's an off topic out of left field. Said neighbor has a Ural with fuel injection. Has anyone converted an Airhead to fuel injection? Looking at his bike, the mechanical swap would be easy, just swap carb for injector body and O2 sensor to exhaust. It's the electronic components that this old guy would have trouble with. EDIT, found youtube video!

srankin

Post by srankin »

I don't recall anyone installing fuel injection on an airhead. I suppose it could be done along the lines of the Ural system.

To do it would mean adding a fuel pump and who knows what kind of "computer" or control module/system would be needed to control things. I imagine the Ural system is pretty simple compared to what would be found on a BMW.

LOL, next time you see a Ural take things apart and see what makes them tick. St.

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

After I posted I went to YouTube and found this:
https://youtu.be/LMoMQ92kFr8 There are 4 parts to the video series.
Basically he has a high mile R75 and coverts to EFI. Shows dyno run with carbs at 43 HP and after EFI up to 68HP.
Required adding an in-tank high pressure fuel pump from a Ducati and all the electronic bits. Sounds to good to be true but
If even close, those numbers are impressive.

srankin

Post by srankin »

The mechanical part of the conversion could be the easiest depending upon what parts are used. As for the electrical stuff, I guess the degree of difficulty would be installing any sensor and wiring needed to control the system.

I have never looked at a Ural or Ducati injection set up, much less the oil head BMW boxer units. How many sensors do they have in the system? What does the "computer" control?

Yes to go from 45hp to 68 is impressive depending upon the ride ability on the street. I will have to watch some of his videos to see just how he installed the system. Not that I am going to bother. St.