If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

srankin

Re: Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Post by srankin »

I mean according to what I have been reading, the bike was set up and stored properly. By that I mean carbs drained, gas drained, bike in a dry or non corrosive environment.

So as I wrote, I would not bother to rebuild carbs just yet, put gas into it and fire it up, see what happens, ride it a bit and if it needs the carbs rebuilt, then. do so. Why waste riding season if you don't have to? St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

The bike was for the most part stored well. The tank was empty and the oil was clean. The right carb had been rebuilt at some point as the O rings were still somewhat flexible and the gaskets were newish. The left carb gaskets were dry rotted and the O rings brittle and cracked and the idle and main jet clogged. Both had some thick varnish in the bowl. It did start with a quick carb clean but after full disassembly and clean it now idles great.

Will be picking up wheels and new tires this weekend. I’ll ride it a bit, get it warm and do a final adjust on the idle and balance carbs.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Dry rotted seals are a good reason to rebuild, so you did need to. St.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

Jebones,

The modest cost of the carb rebuild kit, and the simplicity involved, it is an easy decision. Plus, you have the satisfaction of making the bike run better.

Tires should make a big difference. When I got my dormant R100 on the road, it initially had 10 year old tires. The few times a I rode on them, did not instill any confidence.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

Update on tuning. I'm following the procedure to tune the carbs. The butterfly stops are set using a piece of paper as a feeler gauge, then adjusted slight slack in the cables, The idle screws were set to 3/4 turn. Its idling rough, at about 800-900 RPM.
Turning the left side idle screw in and out does affect the idle and about 1 turn out seem to be max increase in RPM of about 100 RPM. The issue is that turning the right carb screw has no effect. All the way in or out up to almost 2 turns doesn't change the RPM. I assume I still have some blockage somewhere? I've removed the carb and removed the idle screw and can blow air that seems to come out in several places. Not sure where the idle circuit draws it's fuel from? Other than removing carb and doing another cleaning, is there somewhere to focus my attention?

I was able to bend the turn signal mounts back into place with just a little cracking of the chrome. The aftermarket lights look good but you get what you pay for, not the best quality internals. New tires mounted and the bearings repacked and preload tested and good.

Is the front ATE disc brakes really this bad? I have the cam pivot set so there is very little movement of the caliper when brake applied and the pads are parallel to the disc. The lever feel is good with min play but doesn't slow the bike very much. I found a "new" set of pads in the tool kit so I don't know the age or material type.

srankin

Post by srankin »

The ATE brakes are what they are, out dated. Problem is, to do anything more with them can get real expensive fast.

I did take the time over the last winter to change the whole front suspension on my 78 RS from the ATE brakes to Brembo brakes. There was improvement in stopping power however, if I hadn't been able to source the parts for the conversion real cheap and in real good shape, I would never have done the change. St.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

Jebones,

Regarding the carb issues. I cannot tell how much work you’ve done to the Bings, but again, I would suggest buying rebuild kits for both, including the rubber bellows. The kits will have all of the o rings and gaskets. Here is a very comprehensive tutorial on doing a complete rebuild.

https://www.boxer2valve.com/r906-12-reb ... etors.html

Also, I would suggest thoroughly cleaning every component, Jets and the carb bodies.

Good luck.
Last edited by SDCR on Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

@srankin - I'm not really wanting to modify the bike at this point, I'll continue to play with the adjustment and see if I can get better performance from the ATE system. Maybe different pads etc.

@SDCR - I did watch the video before my rebuild. I soaked the parts and body for 30 min in Berryman Chem carb cleaner and used new O rings. I took the bike out for a ride. Over 3K RPM it pulls strong and feel really good. At idle it's rough. While idling, if I lift up on one carb cable, the revs climb smoothly, lifting on the other cable has min response until a certain point and then the revs respond and is smooth. Tells me the idle circuit on that side is not providing fuel and functioning properly. I'lll be out of town for the weekend and will do another complete cleaning on the suspect carb and report back.

By the way, I can't emphasize enough how enjoyable this has been. The more I work on this bike the more I like it. Everyone's input has been very helpful.

More to come.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

When I resurrected my dormant R100, I also cleaned the carbs with gobs of over the counter cleaner. Thought I’d gotten all the gunk out. A friend has an ultra sonic cleaner, so we put everything in. Interesting to watch the solution turn completely black after just a few minutes.
As your most likely aware, crap gets caked on in many of the carburetor crevices and orifices. Sometimes you gotta bring out the big guns.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

If I could honestly say the change from ATE to Brembo was worth the cost (I mean the cost of parts at normal prices not lucky prices like I found them for) I would trumpet it from the highest hill, "DO IT". But, it is not. Try new pads clean fluid, and make sure they are bled right, keep the ATE brakes. St.

I would rather help people in person, than over the forum, but, it is not always possible. St.