If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Jebones

Re: Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Post by Jebones »

So I started cleaning last night. Degreased the engine and carbs. The breather tubes mentioned seem to be some sort of cold air intake for the the exhaust? I assumed it was similar to the air injection pumps placed on cars in the 70's as a crude emissions fix. It wouldn't affect performance. All the 1970s US spec Alfa Romeos had belt drive air pumps. Mostly we just removed the belt and left the plumbing.

I used a bore scope to check the cylinders. Other than some carbon buildup, there was one very small spot of rust on the left cylinder wall. The carbs are spotless from the inside and no critter nest in the exhaust. Back in the 80's we stored my father's Ferraris in a barn. One spring we fired one up and shot 2 little grey mice out the tail pipe!

Also scoped the gas tank, I'm shocked at how perfect the lining is.

I'm finishing a furniture project for my daughter that is consuming my shop and my time but should have all my space back on Friday. Plan to change the fluids and fire it up Saturday. I'll post a link to a (hopefully) successful video!

srankin

Post by srankin »

The pause system just injected air into the head to clean up exhaust gas. It worked by a whole lot of magic from vacuum and pressure. Pretty much passive unlike a belt driven injection system.

LOL, I do remember my I could when my 84 was new hear the workings going on. That was before becoming mostly deaf and before it quit working. Not sure if the deafness came first but I suspect the stop working part came first. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

Well here’s the latest. We got the bike to fire up today. Only running with the choke so a carb rebuild is in the works. The main jets were clogged.
So this bike was built in late 79 and titled as a 1980.
The owner had some spare parts in the tool kit including some spare points. After reading the Climer Manuel it looks like the bike has electronic ignition. Here’s a pic of the front of the engine. From what I’ve read, this bike should have points. Was an upgrade common? And why was there extra point in the travel tool kit?
80353DE1-0578-4DBB-9D0E-3969BF2082FE.jpeg

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

That's what they call the bean can...I believe the points reside inside that can.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Ah, points in the bean can! One of BMW's pre electronic ignition solutions to supposedly make dealing with points easier.
If you don't have a module under the gas tank, you have points.
81 was I believe the first year for true electronic ignition.

Take my advice, go out and buy the new Wedgetail electronic ignition system and ditch the points. The Wedgetail system for your bike is very easy to install, LOL, the hardest part is figuring out where to mount the ignition module under the gas tank. I mounted mine on one of the studs for the rear gas tank mounts. Eliminating points is one of the best things you could ever do and from my limited experience with the Wedgetail system, the performance gains touted by the company are true, better starting, and smoother running. I can't say anything about durability of the unit as the bike I installed the system on was totaled in a stupid me accident 5K miles after I did the install. IF it is like the factory system on my 84RT, (it is modeled after BMW factory) then it should last a long time. St.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

srankin wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:13 am

If you don't have a module under the gas tank, you have points.
81 was I believe the first year for true electronic ignition.

....St.
Steve,

My 1983 R100 has the bean can, so would that mean it also has an “electronic ignition” ?
1983 R100
2000 R1100

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I might have mislabeled the system as the "bean can". From Snowbum's site:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Ignition.htm

There's points-in-a-can or canister points for 1979 and 1980. Then beginning 9/1980 or the 1981 models, the "real" electronic ignition came out. This canister had a Hall effect sensor (no points) in it as well as an ICU or brain box located under the tank. This later ignition sensor has part number 12111244088.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... 2111244088
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Bleeper

Post by Bleeper »

Nice find! Estate sales can be a real good picking ground if you're willing to put in the leg work.

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, I call anything with the "can" points or Hall effect bean cans. So there are points bean cans and there are electronic ignition bean cans. 81 and newer bikes would be electronic.

LOL, I always wonder why it was BMW decided it was a good idea to enclose points into a "bean can" for only a few years rather than just go full electronic ignition.

I used to get really pissed with my 77 R75/7's points fouling up miles from home on a ride and having to set them and fuss with them in a parking lot on my hands and knees because they had to be adjusted to stop the bike from pinging. My cousin's 74 Suzuki GT380 at that time as well as his 77 Suzuki GT750 were full electronic ignition and I took a lot of ribbing from him when I was on my hands and knees.
That was when the long time hatred of points on BMW bikes started and while I traded the 77 in for an 84R80RT, you can bet when I bought a used 78R100RS, the points were thrown out. ON that bike I had a Dyna system for years, read about the new Wedgtail system, bought it, installed it and lo a behold, a great system. I really regret wrecking the bike and not having more miles to see how reliable the Wedgetail system is. LOL the bike is at my friend's shop so if I buy a replacement, I can part out the system. St.

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

So I'm still a bit confused. With a build date in late 79 and titled as a 1980, The bike should have points in the the can according to the Clymer Manual, correct? Also, as I said, there were several sets of points in the tool box below the seat. Did it originally come with points and the owner upgraded, if that is even possible? And never remove the points from the tool box? Not the original motor? The bike doe shave two coils.
Where would I find the engine stamping?