If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

cbclemmens

Re: Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Post by cbclemmens »

I put a junkyard gearbox in my R 75/5 summer before last. It was really stiff shifting when I first put it in, especially down shifting. The more I rode it the smoother it got. Now it shifts up and down normally. I'm thinking yours will do the same if you ride it and work that shifter as often as you can.

Craig

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

Changed the fork oil. Only had 4 oz in each fork. Refilled with the proper amount and still have about 3-4 inches of play when the bike is on the center stand. I can grab the front wheel and lift and the forks slide up. Is that normal? Or still low on oil. I measured 8.25 oz. Did not measure with a rod. That’s next.

Here’s a video
https://youtu.be/QkG-QkUO7pU

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Shouldn't be able to do that. Almost like there is not pretension on the springs. Sometimes a spacer is needed at the top of the springs before the cap is put on.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

If you measured the amount you put in, you don't need to check it with a rod. Oil level has nothing to do with spring tension or ride height just spring rebound dampening.

Not to be a pain but you are certain you put everything back together correctly?

I would assume there would be more tension on the springs. What is the front end like when the bike is off the center stand and you have weight on it? St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

I did not disassemble the fork. I loosened the bottom nut but did it take it all the way off. The oil drained out slowly.

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

srankin wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:15 pm
If you measured the amount you put in, you don't need to check it with a rod. Oil level has nothing to do with spring tension or ride height just spring rebound dampening.

Not to be a pain but you are certain you put everything back together correctly?

I would assume there would be more tension on the springs. What is the front end like when the bike is off the center stand and you have weight on it? St.

Here are 2 pick with the bike upright, I’m not sitting on the seat.
Attachments
8C56AFB2-77D9-4301-A40D-B46097F7AA6E.jpeg
EEE01294-80BF-4EFD-B0A0-44815C360EB7.jpeg

srankin

Post by srankin »

I will try to measure how high off the ground mine is when I get a chance. Do the forks feel OK when you bounce up and down on them? St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Another thing you could measure is the amount of sag with you on the bike. I think it should be around 1/3 of the total front end travel. Measure that by putting a zip tie around the fork tube right above the fork slider. You would need to completely unload the front end and push the zip tie down against the slider. Clearly you can't do this with the bike on the center stand because coming off the center stand bounces on the front end. I'm sure there are "clever" ways of getting the front off the ground so the zip tie can be placed. Total suspension travel per Haynes is 200mm for your bike.
Kurt in S.A.

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

schrader7032 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:50 pm
Another thing you could measure is the amount of sag with you on the bike. I think it should be around 1/3 of the total front end travel. Measure that by putting a zip tie around the fork tube right above the fork slider. You would need to completely unload the front end and push the zip tie down against the slider. Clearly you can't do this with the bike on the center stand because coming off the center stand bounces on the front end. I'm sure there are "clever" ways of getting the front off the ground so the zip tie can be placed. Total suspension travel per Haynes is 200mm for your bike.
I have a winch on a trolly in the shop. I've used it to lift the rear of the bike to get it on the center stand. It is REALLY difficult to get it on the center stand otherwise. Is that normal? I'm 6ft 2in. and not that weak but it seems when i lift the bike by the grab handle and pull up and rearward, the front sags and I can barely get it on the stand.

I'll use the winch to lift the front by the handle bars and put on a zip tie.

Thanks for the tip.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

If it's that difficult to get up on the center stand, then either you're doing it wrong or something has worn out. Metric tires will make it harder to use the stand. Worn out pivot points on the stand will cause the bike to go too far over center making it harder to get up and over. Sacked suspension front/rear will cause the bike to lower to the ground. When on the center stand, the front tire should be at least an inch or two off the ground.
Kurt in S.A.