If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

srankin

Re: Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Post by srankin »

On your bike, there can be an issue of the center stand wearing and going past or "over" it's forward position as Kurt mentioned. Also, if someone was twisting the bike while putting it on the stand, the frame bosses for the stand can get twisted making it hard to get onto the stand.

You will have to use your hoist and support the bike with the stand in the up position to see if it is parallel with the frame to check if the bosses are twisted. It can be gently bent back into shape without heat.

As for wear in the stand, first check to see if the proper mounting hardware is in place, and check to see how much slop you have if any at the mounting points. You may only need to replace the two pivot spacers or get unlucky and have to have the stand replaced or repaired. Good luck. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

srankin

Post by srankin »

Where are you located again, maybe as the weather clears, I can ride down and perhaps give a hand, I am in Rochester NY. St.

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

srankin wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:43 am
Where are you located again, maybe as the weather clears, I can ride down and perhaps give a hand, I am in Rochester NY. St.
I'm in Youngstown OH. As mentioned before, We have a summer place at the Chautauqua Institution. During the 9 week summer season they limit car traffic and prohibit motorcycles from coming "on grounds". I don't think I'll bring it up there until Labor Day or later. If I do bring it up during the season, I would haul it in an enclosed trailer and keep it stored there.

I believe the issue with the center stand is the front suspension is low and compressing when I try to put it on the center stand. I hold the stand down with my foot and lift. As I do I see the front suspension compressing. The stand does go a little past center and requires a decent push to get up and over when coming off the stand. I'll lift with the winch and check the mounting points.

Thanks again.

P.S. Seen this? Bring A Trailer has listed some nice airheads in the past
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-bmw-r90-6-8/

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Not sure the R90/6 is a 74 model...would have to check the VIN number. 74 models had solid front discs, this one has a drilled rotor.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

One of my morning rituals is to read email, skim the news, read the forums then go to Bring a Trailer followed by the weather.

Not that I would bid on anything but I like keeping up on prices both there and other sites.

A lot of neat stuff goes up for auction there and I only wish I had the money and a place to keep it. At this stage of life however, I am starting to cut back and simplify. St.

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

srankin wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 7:43 am
One of my morning rituals is to read email, skim the news, read the forums then go to Bring a Trailer followed by the weather.

Not that I would bid on anything but I like keeping up on prices both there and other sites.

A lot of neat stuff goes up for auction there and I only wish I had the money and a place to keep it. At this stage of life however, I am starting to cut back and simplify. St.
I’ve never bought on BaT but I did have a good experience with selling an Alfa I restored.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967- ... duetto-37/

If I decide to sell the BMW I’ll try BaT

Elliotjoy

Post by Elliotjoy »

Good pick. I exited out of estate sales because it requires too much physical work but if youre willing to do that, it is a great career path.

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

There is a Haynes manual posted on Ebay right now.

Haynes BMW 2-Valve Twins '70 to '96 Hardcover Repair & Service Manual

Craig

DanielHarwood

Post by DanielHarwood »

Jeez that is a really good pick! Nice work

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

So I’m up to 550 miles without any real issues.
I keep tweaking the carbs and idling great.

The dash brake light keeps coming on. I pull the gas tanks and fiddle with the wires on the float for fluid level and the light goes off only to come on again. Not leaking fluid and front brake works fine. I think I need to chase the wires and look for a bad connection.

No oil leaks but burned about a half quart over 550 mile. That would be normal for my Italian cars but not sure what is “normal” for these bikes. I’m running 20W50, not racing oil. (I try to avoid reading the threads on what is considered the proper oil!)