If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

srankin

Re: Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Post by srankin »

Check further into the top of the engine for mouse encroachment, I have seen them get into the front of the engine. same goes with carbs and intakes.

As for rebuilding the MC, the kits are not bad, and of course it all depends upon the shape of the bore when you get things apart as to if it is rebuildable or not. There are places now who are sleeving MCs. I am not 100% certain but I believe a lot of them are NLA new now as replacements.

I bet Kurt has a list of articles on the subject of rebuild and re sleeving. He is not lazy like I am and will put them into the posts.

Boy, I would love to find a barn find in that kind of shape, it would make my winter. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

I've been pleasantly surprised with the overall condition and completeness of the bike.
I plan on completing a refurbish and not a restoration. I believe the cosmetic imperfections
tell a story and make the bike more interesting. I'll focus on mechanical issues to make it reliable and safe and then spend a lot of effort on just cleaning and polishing. There are some rust spots on the frame and I think I'll just flake off the loose paint, treat the rust and maybe touch it up with some POR.

I'm not sure what to do about the original snowflake front wheel. On first inspection I did not see any cracks. I'll look closer when I wash and scrub it down. There are a few reinforced ones for sale online but the prices are obviously high. For my use, which will be casual easy rides, I'm not too concerned but if I plan to sell I'd like to have a replacement.

Full disclosure, this is my first street bike. I grew up riding dirt bikes and then got into cars and have focused on Alfa Romeos for street and track. I am an Orthopedic surgeon and have taken care of too many responsible street riders that were victims of negligent drivers to feel really safe on the street. I'm convinced that the only reason the wife didn't object is that I bought it from and Alfa guy and that it was a non-running bike!

srankin

Post by srankin »

The good lining in the gas tank is the best part. No mice other than a small nest is another good part. LOL, you should see some of the recent barn finds my friend has gotten into his shop for evaluation. St.

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

Tonight I removed the master cylinder and the front caliper. Both were seized. With a little
nudging I got them both apart. The seals were in good shape and the corrosion was all external to the
seal. I just cleaned and reassembled.

The front caliper mount is interesting. I can't figure out the purpose of the cam like pivot point. I'll have to do some reading as to why and what is the proper initial alignment.
Reassembled, bled and adjusted the cable and has a good feel now.

Also removed both carb bowls and they were clean except for a little thick honey like goo in the bottom.
The needle valves moved freely so I cleaned the bowls and reassembled.

I might have this running by the weekend!

Advise on tires? They are pretty dry rotted.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

The carbs are very simple to rebuild, with several excellent video tutorials online. IIWY, I would disassemble them, one at a time. Most likely, the internal jets will need a good cleaning, and the rubber bellows should be replaced.

Unless you plan to race this machine, Shinko has a decent set of tires in the stock sizes. I put the 712 series on my R100, and they are wearing and riding fine. You should also consider replacing the tubes.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/s ... ire-review
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

I would not pull the carbs apart just yet, I think as you do, you may have the bike running very soon.

Everything points to the bike being stored properly and prepared for storage properly.

I personally would take the risk of putting fresh gas in it and firing it up in the belief there is not any major crud or boogers in the carbs.

Before you fire it up remember the airhead tune up order; valve adjustment first, points, timing second, carbs last.

Again, I doubt you will have any problems. St.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

Jebones,

One other item that you could address, is the Pulse Air System. This would be the two small pumps, that you will find directly under the air filter. These usually are not operating properly at this stage, and eliminating the system is advisable. Simply remove all of those parts, and plug the small air line that comes out of the front of the air box. The metal lines that exit the sides can be removed, and plugged. The other ends of those lines, bolt up to the bottom of the heads, near the exhaust. Euro moto electrics sell a very reasonable kit, with all of the parts needed to accomplish this. http://euromotoelectrics.com/
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

I removed my air pulse system after the lines going to the heads rusted out. It is easy to do.

Frankly I haven't noticed any difference in performance since I removed mine I'm going on two years now. After removal I didn't have to mess with any settings.

So I guess I am writing save your effort to remove unless you really think you need to. LOL, the weight is not that much. St.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

srankin wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:42 am
I removed my air pulse system after the lines going to the heads rusted out. It is easy to do.

Frankly I haven't noticed any difference in performance since I removed mine I'm going on two years now. After removal I didn't have to mess with any settings.

So I guess I am writing save your effort to remove unless you really think you need to. LOL, the weight is not that much. St.
Steve,

I removed my Pulse system from a R100 that had sat for over five years, and the components were seized and in generally poor condition. I found that removing these components, allowed for a cleaner air box. Also, my outer metal lines were in poor condition.
I also don’t think there was a “performance “ improvement, and I did not suggest that in my post. A well known airhead tech told me that plugging the line on the head, might allow for a cooler running exhaust valve.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, I guess in my poor way of writing I was suggesting just leave the stuff in place as it won't make a difference in performance. LOL, I have no idea how many years and miles ago the "working" parts of my system packed it in, it could have been five years after the bike was built. it was only when the lines to the heads rotted out did I get rid of it.

I will admit, I like the cleaner airbag and the lack of "stuff" and wish I had removed it all years ago.

At this point the new owner of the bike in this post, in my perhaps poorly written wording should not worry about removing or not. Worry about bigger fish and after a few miles on the bike decide if it is worth the effort to get rid of the pulse system. St.