If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

*Update #2 *gear selector linkage rod

SDCR

Re: Correct gear selector linkage rod

Post by SDCR »

r67boxer@gmail.com wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:08 am
This is the setup I have on my '82 R100T and it works perfectly fine. The rubber cover split and fell off last year.

Kevin

shifter.jpg
Kevin,

That is what mine has, except that additional spring, that maybe holds the other clips in place. I have ridden this bike about 6000 miles since June, when I recommissioned it. Guess I was just lucky that it held together.
1983 R100
2000 R1100

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

That is correct. The spring is under tension towards the transmission and therefore keeps the rod and clips in place.

As for sloppiness, I believe its wear on the rod after years of use. I doubt whether the holes in the shift lever coming out of the transmission nor the foot lever have much wear. So, I figure that a worn rod fitting into the two lever holes is likely the cause of the sloppiness. When I fitted my shift rod onto the bike I chose the one with the least wear.

Kevin

srankin

Post by srankin »

I can honestly say, I have never seen the set up you have in your two pictures. LOL, I don't doubt BMW installed it but I have seen a lot of bikes but none like that. I learn something new every day. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

There were a lot of firsts for me in this bike too. It came as a basket case from Vancouver. A rolling chassis without powertrain, engine, transmission and three Rubbermade containers. I won't tell you how long it took me to put it together. Lol.

WRT the shifter setup, like I said earlier the spring/rod setup was enclosed in a rubber cover which fell off last summer. Perhaps there are more like it but are hidden from view.

Kevin

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, I never ripped off the rubber cover on any of my friends bikes to check to see how the link was set up. So, yeah, it could be more common than I thought. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

SDCR

Re: * update with question * gear selector linkage rod

Post by SDCR »

Received the new ball and rod linkage, to replace the old parts. It came with two 6mm lock nuts and 2 wave washers.

Question is, does the wave washer go up against the locking nut, or on the other side, where the ball is?
1983 R100
2000 R1100

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Can you show what you have?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

schrader7032 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:22 pm
Can you show what you have?
Yes, but it’s not with me now. I’ll post the actual parts on Sunday, but it’s basically this
D64CB657-8A95-4FCD-B270-184E15EB55D9.jpeg
D64CB657-8A95-4FCD-B270-184E15EB55D9.jpeg (7.76 KiB) Viewed 935 times
1983 R100
2000 R1100

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

OK, a little small so can't zoom in. Since my /7 has the spring clip, I'll try and guess...maybe there are better guessers out there! So, two nuts and two washers. And that's over and above the two nuts that are already in place. I think the two nuts that are in place, those just turn down onto the ball and jam tight, once you get the spacing right. The other two nuts and washers are used to attach the ball ends to the bike - one end to the extension of the foot shifter and the other end to the lever that actuates the gears inside the transmission.

All that said, I found Brook Reams page where he talks about removing and installing this linkage. I don't see any washers or extra nuts...there are some spring clips that hold the ball ends on the matching balls on the bike moving parts.

https://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcycle-r ... nt_Linkage

EME has this info along with a video link from Brook...near the end is where he details the installation of the linkage.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/produ ... rod391.htm
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

Kurt,
The EME part that you linked is the one I bought. The question I have is regarding the thread3d part that slides into the gear linkage. I only ordered one wave and one not per end. So I have a total of two waves and two nuts.

My questions, is regarding the part that attaches to the gear linkage ( in two ends), and is secured by the locking nut. I’m not sure if my wave washer is against the nut, or on the other side of the linkage component, close to the ball.

Or, maybe it doesn’t matter which side the wave washer goes?
1983 R100
2000 R1100