If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/6 first gear dragging

vfiori

R60/6 first gear dragging

Post by vfiori »

Hello,
If you've seen my other threads, I have a '74 R60/6 with just about 906 miles now. It was sitting for about 20 years before I started working on it. I'm not sure if this is normal but when I go to put it into first gear, I have to clutch in, and then sometimes roll the bike forward to get it into first. I also noticed that when downshifting to first when you initially push down on the shifter you can feel the gears trying to mesh. Also, if the bike is cold, it won't initially shift into second gear. I have to drive a short distance in first before I can upshift to 2nd and so on.

schrader7032

Re: R60/6 first gear dragging

Post by schrader7032 »

What sort of service have you done to the input shaft splines on the transmission? Could be that the clutch disk is not sliding on the splines and maybe still touching parts of the clutch not allowing gear selection.

Also, what has been your procedure for adjusting the clutch actuation, specifically positioning the lever at the back of the transmission as well as the hand lever? If you don't have the cable adjusted correctly, you could have partial engagement at either end of the clutch actuation.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

vfiori

Post by vfiori »

I haven't touched a thing on the transmission besides changing the trans fluid. I'll check the clutch adjustment. thanks

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Tom Cutter has the clutch adjustment procedure on his website, but it appears to be down at the moment. I ended up repeating here in this post:

viewtopic.php?p=38027#p38027
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

If properly adjusting the clutch doesn't help it may be time to take the tranny out to lubricate the splines. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

last year I replaced the gear box in my R75/5 with a junk yard box I found on E-Bay. When I first put it in it was very stiff shifting, especially downshifting. I would have to work the lever couple of times to get it to shift down. Sometimes it would jump 2 gears. The more I rode and shifted the better it worked. Now it is just fine.

Try riding it and work the shifter a lot see if it doesn't loosen up as well.

Craig

vfiori

Post by vfiori »

I'm hoping it's just tight from sitting. I'll know for sure when it gets warm out. (also probably when the leaks will start)