If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/6 gearbox question

John Clark

R60/6 gearbox question

Post by John Clark »

Hello,
Having never ridden an older BMW until I bought this one for an Ohio winter sanity project, I am hoping one of you veterans out there might lend me your experience. This is a 1974 R60/6, 32,000 mi, dealer serviced, purchased from the gal who bought it new, was stored 30 years, brought back to running condition by the local dealer before she put it up for sale. It has low compression (rings) and needs a clutch, which I have removed and am awaiting parts.
My question is about the shift from first gear to second: Do these bikes typically clunk into second gear pretty hard? All other upshifts are quite smooth by comparison, and I found more metal shavings in the gear oil than I like, so I have concerns that I have internal gearbox problems that need investigating. I was able to lessen the clunk by letting the rpms drop more than usual before the shift, and maybe the clutch issues contribute to this, but I’m in the dark here, and maybe you know what the problem might be?
Thank you for any insight you can offer.

schrader7032

Re: R60/6 gearbox question

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum, John! And to BMWs! The BMW gearbox is known to be pretty clunky...just have to get used to it. But there is something you can do to help soften it a bit. Just before pulling in the clutch lever, put some up pressure on the foot lever, then pull the hand lever and select 2nd gear. Leave the pressure on the foot lever and continue with the clutch operation. That should make the shifting a bit less clunky. There is going to be fuzz on the magnetic drain plug, but if it begins to look more chunky and have yellowish pieces in it, then you likely do have a transmission problem.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Welcome and hello.

LOL, the BMW pre 81 bikes could be a bit clunky. If you have come from another company's bike or a newer BMW, it can be surprising.

I am guessing you are talking about the clunkiness occurring before you pulled the clutch? Or are you still waiting for parts and riding yet? Anyway, a bad clutch and dry transmission splines could be a large part of your problem.

One of the big things airheads need to have done from time to time is to have the transmission input shaft splines lubed.

As for the stuff in the transmission, Kurt has the best answer. Keep us up to date on your progress and good luck. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

robsryder

Post by robsryder »

A now deceased airhead guru, known as Oak, recommended a molybdenum disulfide product known as Gear Guard M as an additive to the non-synthetic transmission oil. I used to be able to find this stuff at a local bearing distributor, but it seems to be more difficult to locate. It only requires a "dollop" (5% by vol) added to the oil. I liked either Castrol or Valvolene 80w-90 gl5 transmission oil.

I found that the moly additive helped a great deal with the clunkiness. One still needs to make very deliberate shifts.

Here is a link to the Gear Guard M product -
https://www.dupont.com/products/molykot ... itive.html

A company known as LiquiMoly makes a similar transmission additive.
https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/mos2-anti ... .html#1040

John Clark

Post by John Clark »

After posting my question I ran off for a short trip and just returned to find your helpful answers. Wow. Thanks so much. This is good news.
I have the spline lube (LiquiMoly LM47), a new clutch spring has arrived, and the reconditioned other parts are shipping back from Southland Clutch this week. The plan is to incorporate all your suggestions. (Will change the rear main seal and oil pump o-ring first.)
This has been a gas so far, really a fun bike to work on, and sure nice to have help along the way. I really appreciate your generosity. Please stay tuned.

srankin

Post by srankin »

LoL, I forgot to mention changing the main seal and pump ring gasket, It always makes sense to do so while you have that much apart. Unless you burn up a clutch in no time, LOL. Good luck. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS