If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

How to fit the Krauser cast carrier rack

malmac

How to fit the Krauser cast carrier rack

Post by malmac »

Hi Folks

If one of you has the cast alloy Krauser pannier rack and combined carrier, I would appreciate some help.
carrier01.jpg
I got the pieces for the rack from two different places and neither had the complete rack fitted to a bike.
I have most of the pieces, I think, but there are different options for fitting some parts.

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Re: How to fit the Krauser cast carrier rack

Post by malmac »

I should have used a question mark in the title for this thread.
I was hoping someone might help me understand the ins and outs of this sort of carrier.
Well I have just plugged along trying to work out a solution. Unfortunately not the tried and trues one (which I dont know) but hopefully one that will work out to be satisfactory.

So to help with alignment I turned up some plastic spacers to hold the carrier, where I thought it had to be to dodge the indicators (though not with much clearance).
carrier02.jpg
Then I reviewed a pic of another fitment of carrier to R100/7.

mmmmm the indicators are sitting well back.
Different mounting stork, or was it modified?
carrier_B_01.jpg

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

Well I am plugging along with this carrier, but really it is not a carrier I would recommend if someone had a better alternative.

Here are a couple of pics of how I am adding the cross piece which links to the loop on the rear of the sub frame.
I could have gone round section, but I have opted to go square section. I dont think it looks quite as pretty, but the alignments are working in quite well.

Making up the geometry is easier also with square section.

The flat plate is the first step in extending the mount for the tail light and indicators. Without an extension the indicators wont clear the carrier.

Mal
carrier04.jpg
carrier03.jpg
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

srankin

Post by srankin »

Oh gosh, I wish I had known you wanted to install those racks. I put a set on my bike back in 81, they were the worst possible racks to deal with and I didn't have the luggage rack, just the pannier bag mounts.

Sorry you are dealing with them, and sorry I can't help as it has been awhile since I last installed and that bike was traded in for my RT in 83.

Good luck. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Carott

Post by Carott »

Mal,
Those cast racks were sold by Krauser as their "universal" mounting system. As is the case for most "fits all motorcycles" products, they didn't do a good job on any bikes. The multi-holed metal straps and cheap hardware made every installation look poor. The instructions called for removing the rear signal lights from the bike and mounting them to the rack, leaving the wiring exposed.
Be assured that any mounting brackets you build will be far superior to the original factory supplied junk.
Brett

srankin

Post by srankin »

Yeah, I bought mine from a Honda shop to fit my R75/7, that was before I found a BMW dealer near by that sold proper Reynolds racks. Sadly Reynolds is long gone. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

malmac

Post by malmac »

Carott wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:27 am
Mal,
Those cast racks were sold by Krauser as their "universal" mounting system. As is the case for most "fits all motorcycles" products, they didn't do a good job on any bikes. The multi-holed metal straps and cheap hardware made every installation look poor. The instructions called for removing the rear signal lights from the bike and mounting them to the rack, leaving the wiring exposed.
Be assured that any mounting brackets you build will be far superior to the original factory supplied junk.
Brett
The rack I got had parts missing or at least I couldn't make sense of the bits and how to fit them. I realise the rack is not robust enough for a ride around the world, but for the occasional week-end away, I think it should be workable. I am not mounting the indicators on the rack, but building a bracket that extends the rear tail light and indicators backwards by about an inch, so everything fits.

Not quite finished yet, but the build is progressing.
Thanks for the background information.

Regards

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

srankin wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:03 pm
Oh gosh, I wish I had known you wanted to install those racks. I put a set on my bike back in 81, they were the worst possible racks to deal with and I didn't have the luggage rack, just the pannier bag mounts.

Sorry you are dealing with them, and sorry I can't help as it has been awhile since I last installed and that bike was traded in for my RT in 83.

Good luck. St.
Thank you for the commiserations, they are most welcome. I certainly would not encourage anyone to fit the rack if they had a better alternative.
I do have a craven rack that would fit, but frankly, the Craven system was not any better, and in my opinion worse, because it wouldnt allow the seat to open fully.

Well I'm nearly there, so I will plug along and I think it will be workable once I find a set of Krauser bags to fit.
I am thinking of buying the replica sets which are now being made by Seibenrock (I believe).

Thank you for your comments.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

cwf

Post by cwf »

Hello Mal,

I lived with Craven racks for years and then Krauser ones for more. The Krauser ones look better fitted and the panniers have more room. The Craven ones are more robust, fibreglass is easily repaired and the rack is stronger and more easily repaired. Given the robust use, the repairability of the Cravens outweighed not being able to open the seat. The Krauser panniers always ended up being bungeed to the bike.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

malmac

Post by malmac »

cwf wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:48 pm
Hello Mal,

I lived with Craven racks for years and then Krauser ones for more. The Krauser ones look better fitted and the panniers have more room. The Craven ones are more robust, fibreglass is easily repaired and the rack is stronger and more easily repaired. Given the robust use, the repairability of the Cravens outweighed not being able to open the seat. The Krauser panniers always ended up being bungeed to the bike.

Charlie.
No argument with what you say.
I have an R69s and I have made a tentative start on fitting a craven carrier and craven panniers to the 69s.
As much as I would like it otherwise, I think the R75 will only be doing fairly modest touring duties, so I hope the cravens will suffice.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia