If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Need Help with R100 GS Ignition Switch

USMA82

Need Help with R100 GS Ignition Switch

Post by USMA82 »

The ignition/light switch on my 1993 R100 GS PD gave up the ghost today.  The whole assembly is made up of 5 parts best I can tell from the fiche - only some are available.  Does anybody have a suggestion for an alternate part that is actually available that would perform the necessary functions? 

Second question - how is the switch retained in the dash?  I don't see anything threaded or latched that would allow me to remove the old broken switch.  I don't want to damage the dash in the process of figuring this out.

Thanks,

John

srankin

Re: Need Help with R100 GS Ignition Switch

Post by srankin »

I am sorry I can't answer your questions directly. I noticed no one seems to have replied and I feel bad. I will suggest perhaps calling EME, Boxer two valve or MAX BMW and check to see if someone can answer your questions. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

robsryder

Post by robsryder »

If you are referring to the starter button on the right side of the handlebar, this part is available from Max BMW. It looks like the price is around $260. I do not think that one can get the single starter button and contact assembly. Once I tried to disassemble this switch assembly on a /6. I ended up buying a good used unit from Re-Psycle BMW. I have replaced a similar unit that broke on a K75S. It was easy to install. However, you may not be as picky as me... I found that the left side original switch gear looked bad next to the new clean switch gear. Yep - I then went a got a new left side switch gear so everything looked new.

The link to the Max BMW parts fiche is below -
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsM ... d=09082020

The diagram below shows this as item #2
Screenshot 2023-01-07 171623.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-07 171654.jpg

robsryder

Post by robsryder »

The OP mentioned "ignition switch" which perhaps means the thing into which the key is inserted in the dash. That item is shown in the figures below. It does appear the it is no-longer available from Max BMW or other alternate suppliers (e.g., Boxer2Valve, MotoBins, etc.). Other than trying to repair the failed part (lubrication, contact cleaner, resoldering) or fitting some generic keyed switch, I'd suggest contacting Re-Psycle BMW and asking about a good, used part.

https://re-psycle.com/

Screenshot 2023-01-11 080939.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-11 081007.jpg

Somerset West BMW

Post by Somerset West BMW »

Hi, switches et al same as K series bikes. Go look for a K ign / key switch from a boneyard if you really can't find. "Click" in mounting same as K. I have a 100GS "clone" and I've used an airhead 3 position switch on it. Fits the hole and has a round nut tightened with a peg spanner. You just have to figure out the wiring, not difficult.
Attachments
20230126_105335[1].jpg
20230126_105321[1].jpg