If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New to Forum intro./ ID questions R60/5

bob66542

New to Forum intro./ ID questions R60/5

Post by bob66542 »

I'm Bob from KS. I found your forum when searching for owners manual info for a 71(title says) R60/5, VIN 2936785 which I recently purchased (non running since the early 90's but in covered storage, engine turns) I have a good reliable 81 R65 Ive had for about 10 yrs, and also various other bikes 60s thru 90s. The bike dose not appear to have fuses, or at least I don't find a fuseblock, and it has aluminum fenders. I tried to attach a pic, but wasn't successful. Can anyone tell me which of the owners manuals on your site would be the correct one for my bike? also, it has the painted tank w/ pads, not a chrome sided one. Of course a bike of this age who knows if the tank and fenders are orig. to the bike. No clue as to how many owners, I got it from the brother of the deceased owner. Also, it has mikuni carbs. on it.

srankin

Re: New to Forum intro./ ID questions R60/5

Post by srankin »

Hello Bob, welcome to the forum. I am not very familiar with the bike in question but I do believe some of the early production /5 bikes were NOT equipped with fuses in the electrical system. LOL, one rumor has it that more than a few were involved in accidents were the rear brake light was on, shorted and burned out the wiring harness. After customer complaints, BMW added two fuses inside the headlight shell.

As for the aluminum fenders and Mikuni carbs, well, that would most likely be down to the previous owner's taste and doing.

Sorry I can't help out with more information, I am sure someone will have the answers you are looking for. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Snowbum has a page that shows wiring diagrams for w/ and w/o fuses.

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Slash5Schematic.jpg
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

bob66542

Post by bob66542 »

OK- I will look in the headlite shell and see if there are fuses there. I saw the wiring diagrams. do either of you guys know the difference in the available owners manuals? and the fenders- I see that the rear is actually plastic or fiberglas. its painted, and when I set my magnetic flashlite on it it didnt stick, the front fender is alum., so I assumed the rear was too. I have a LOT to learn about the /5, never had one before.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Probably best bet to get a couple of manuals, Haynes and Clymers, and bounce them off each other. Add in the internet and forum questions, and should be covered. All manuals, even BMW manuals, have errors and sometimes leave things out.

And the fenders on my /7 are not magnetic!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I have to be honest, I won't be much help so I am going to sign off for now. Keep searching Snowbum's site as well as Airhead and other sites, lots of stuff is now out there to find. St.

bob66542

Post by bob66542 »

Yes- the snowbum wiring diagram will be VERY helpful, showing where the components are located.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Just for the heck of it take a look at EME's website, they may sell one of the excellent color, pins numbered and identified, large, and matted wiring diagrams.
They may not be perfect but are darned close. St.