If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Filled Fork Damper Holes /5

Red

Filled Fork Damper Holes /5

Post by Red »

I am pulling apart a 1970s R75/5 front end which I was told had about 80k miles on it. Goal is to rebuild for a new project. Ran in to something odd, it seems as if someone has filled in some of the damper holes. Has anyone come across this? Both damper rods seem to be organically missing a set of holes and then an additional set were filled in. :?
Screenshot_20221016_092201_Photos.jpg

srankin

Re: Filled Fork Damper Holes /5

Post by srankin »

While I haven't any experience with /5 bikes, I can say I have never seen this before.

Who knows what form Previous Owner's Disease will take? It makes me wonder what he was thinking? Was it a part swap? A supposed performance enhancement? Only the guy who filled the holes in knows.

Personally, I would look to correct it either by drilling out the welds, if you have the ability to do so. Or, find a replacement set. I don't like weird POD issues. Good Luck, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome! How has the front end been working? Some will say that the front end of a BMW Airhead has too much dive under braking. So maybe this was to help that. Most people will adjust the front end ride by changing fluid viscosity or adding more or less fluid from spec. I'd be inclined to run with it unless you don't like the way it rides now.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jimcarrr100rs

Post by jimcarrr100rs »

I heard that was a modification for newer forks.
77 & 83 R100RS, 56 R69, 74 R90/6

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I believe Snowbum has been doing this modification.
Check has website for better information

Bmwwrench

Post by Bmwwrench »

Brazing one or more holes in the /5-/6 damper rod is a fairly common mod. BMW reduced the number of holes as the years went by, and I consider 3 holes to be optimum. This gives a controlled ride without being harsh. To further improve the /5 fork, install "floating damper nozzles" and ensure that the assembly-particularly the brace-is straight.