If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Stripped Drain Plug Woes - Second Update

strichzwei

Re: Stripped Drain Plug Woes

Post by strichzwei »

The G/S final drive is unique to the G/S and ST, these have become rare and are sought after, fix it right! Scottie Sharpe would be my choice if I didn't have the tools!
My 2 cents.
Scott

Slash2

Re: Stripped Drain Plug Woes - Update

Post by Slash2 »

Well I thought I'd provide an update on the status of my stripped final drive thread issue. I ended up pulling the final drive and shipping it across the country to Scottie Sharpe back at the end of October. I was initially told that the thread repair would be a quick fix and could be turned around in a few days but Scottie talked me into having the unit resealed and due to some miscommunications, that pushed the whole service back several weeks. The final drive finally arrived the day before Thanksgiving and unfortunately the repair was not done as described with a press but by someone without much attention to detail and clearly by hand without the jig or press involved at all. The hole was not drilled even remotely straight and the contact of the crush gasket was pretty far from even. To add insult to injury, instead of the repair being performed with the previously agreed upon timesert, a helicoil was instead installed and the whole repair looks a bit like a mess. I'm relatively certain I could've performed a better repair myself but my intention was to have this repaired professionally and unfortunately that was not the case. At this point I've shipped it back across the country again and Scottie is going to (hopefully) correct this bad fix with a proper fix.

Initially my goal was to have this issue fixed quickly so I could enjoy the final months of the fall riding season in Western Pennsylvania, but sadly that time is about up and now I can only hope the bike will be back together and ready to go come spring. After nearly a year of thoroughly and methodically restoring this machine to service, this has been a bitter pill to swallow and a huge disappointment. But in the grand scheme of things this is still a "first world problem" and hopefully not indicative of Scottie's usual service standard.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Photo showing contact angle post first repair with helicoil.
Attachments
8FBC60A1-BEC0-472E-8BBC-1996E9DEB2D5.jpeg

malmac

Post by malmac »

Quite disappointing for you.

Lets hope the second fix is really good.
I have used helicoils on occasion when there was not a better remedy. They are not my first option.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

toolmandoug

Post by toolmandoug »

0824974A-2A49-44E0-9664-4551934D2CFC.jpeg
Attachments
B4A871C4-5F78-4EE3-8C11-22FF424B0B17.jpeg
54A16443-2738-41B8-B929-7E60C0C2F43E.jpeg
A000E224-A272-47BA-AF8D-E0159E0BB6E5.jpeg
4C4D71A4-54B4-4D9F-AD6C-63BE044D2B8D.jpeg

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Doug,

Looks like a good solution for the home mechanic. Surely would've produced better results than I received. Looks like you elected to go with a helicoil as well though and I'm sure for all practical purposes that will work fine. One question, is your drain bolt a bit "wiggly" in the helicoil as it goes in? Unlike the original threads, I found the helicoil to provide a bit of extra play on the stock drain bolt. Is this a factor of all helicoils or was the one used in my final drive possibly the wrong pitch?

Thanks for sharing.

toolmandoug

Post by toolmandoug »

I never had any problems with the fit after installing a helicoil. I just checked for fit and there is a little more play at the start. After the drain plug screws in a turn things tighten up as normal. I like using them because it does not interfere with the sealing surface for the crush washer. The helicoil has to be trimmed to length before installing. I use a good pair of side cutters and snip one section at a time. I also take a small triangle file and smooth up the cut section of helicoil before installing. I chuck up the tap in the drill press and thread in by hand while the diff holder is clamped to the table. The fixture is made from baltic birch and furniture grade plywood. I have done this repair on two different units and never had a problem. Helicoil size should be M12x1.5

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Well I guess I have a Christmas miracle as my final drive has finally returned home. The previous helicoil repair was removed and replaced with a timesert. I've installed the final drive and filled both it and the swingarm with gear lube tonight. Let's just hope it doesn't leak or cause further issue.

When I removed the final drive back in October prior to any service being done, I was able to spin the gears freely by hand, either by the wheel studs or the input gear. When the unit returned I was unable to turn them by hand, which according to Scottie Sharpe, was due to the resistance of the new seals. Sounds reasonable enough. That said, it's noticeably difficult to push the bike around the garage due to the resistance of the rear wheel and I'm curious if this is just what a new final drive is like and will break in, or if something is wrong with the backlash etc? (And no, the brake isn't dragging)

malmac

Post by malmac »

Slash2 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:04 am
Well I guess I have a Christmas miracle as my final drive has finally returned home. The previous helicoil repair was removed and replaced with a timesert. I've installed the final drive and filled both it and the swingarm with gear lube tonight. Let's just hope it doesn't leak or cause further issue.

When I removed the final drive back in October prior to any service being done, I was able to spin the gears freely by hand, either by the wheel studs or the input gear. When the unit returned I was unable to turn them by hand, which according to Scottie Sharpe, was due to the resistance of the new seals. Sounds reasonable enough. That said, it's noticeably difficult to push the bike around the garage due to the resistance of the rear wheel and I'm curious if this is just what a new final drive is like and will break in, or if something is wrong with the backlash etc? (And no, the brake isn't dragging)
If your bike has been sitting for a bit, check your tyre pressures, if they are a bit low that could exaggerate the issue.
Lets hope it is that simple.

I put new seals in my final drive recently and dont remember having your problem. Have you held the universal and checked, all be it roughly the backlash?

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Slash2

Re: Stripped Drain Plug Woes - Second Update

Post by Slash2 »

Thanks for the response Mal. I was beginning to wonder if I was alone in here.

Unfortunately the tire pressure is not the issue as with the bike on center stand, and the rear wheel off the ground, there is significant resistance when trying to spin the wheel by hand. It will move, but requires force and immediately stops after pressure is removed. It feels like the brake is half applied, but it is not.

Before I removed the final drive several months ago, it would spin freely and continue spinning for at least 1/2 to 3/4 of a rotation. It would also spin by hand on the bench.

Can you describe how to perform this basic backlash check?

Thank you.