If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Importing a bike to California

mcaskey13635

Importing a bike to California

Post by mcaskey13635 »

Does anyone have any advice as to if this is possible? I am considering bring int my dads 1977 R100RS over

This is from the California DMV. Was the 1977 model meeting emissions standards of the times ?

Motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, and diesel-powered vehicles cannot be converted to California emissions standards at this time. Therefore, they cannot be registered in California unless they were originally manufactured to meet U.S. and California emissions standards

schrader7032

Re: Importing a bike to California

Post by schrader7032 »

The big EPA changes to the /7 occurred on/about Jan 1, 1978, so I would think that a 1977 model would be OK with what it was designed for.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

sherman980

Post by sherman980 »

Can't help you with the legal aspects but pretty sure there was a 1977 R100RS CFO version produced just for California. I believe the CFO is actually stamped on the engine block as part of the serial number. Worth a deep dive to check.
Hope that helps.
Thanks.
Chuck S

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

I would check into "Classic" or "Antique" plates. There are probably different rules for those vehicles.

Craig

MikeL46

Post by MikeL46 »

I believe the DMV restriction quoted refers to new vehicles. I have a '78 RS that was brought from Germany and registered in CA without issues.

Lots of people move to CA and register their out of state cars. I do recall visiting the CHP office to get the VIN verified.

Mike
67 R50/2 w/R100 engine/trans and Ural Sidecar
69 R60/2 76 R90S 78 R100RS
70 Triumph w/Spirit Eagle Sidecar

jimkav

Post by jimkav »

their are some exemptions

Exemptions
There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:
• Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or legal separation settlement.
• Purchased to replace your California registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out of state.
• Purchased to replace your California registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.
• An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code §§27156.2 and 27156.3.
• Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
• A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older, with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

mcaskey13635

Post by mcaskey13635 »

Thanks for the responses everyone . I talked with the CA DMV , and that does not look like it will be a problem, because of the age of the bike

Looking into the EPA rules , at the Federal level this link states pretty clearly that the vehicle needs to be modified (or at least tested )to ensure compliance

https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicles- ... nd-engines
Nonconforming vehicles can be imported, if they are modified, tested and certified by an Independent Commercial Importer (ICI).
However , pre 1978, these regulations also do not seem to be a factor
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100O9ZX.pdf

mcaskey13635

Post by mcaskey13635 »

does anyone have any recommendations for bike importers , from UK to California, that handle the customs parperwork?

sherman980

Post by sherman980 »

You might give Schumacher Logistics a try. (schumachercargo.com) I've used them several times for imports from Europe although it's been a few years since I used them last. Door to door, dock to dock, crating, paperwork, etc., they handled it. Had an "emergency situation" and, from the time I called them to the time I picked the bike up (they crated) at the customs clearing house here in the US, THREE DAYS! I used to deal with a fellow named Warren Barnes. Not sure if he's still there, but a great guy as well as a great guy to deal with.

Hope that helps.
Thanks.
Chuck S

Mhintlian@yahoo.com

Post by Mhintlian@yahoo.com »

I moved from Southern California to Virginia a year ago. I have a 1978 R100s. During the time I rode the bike in CA it was registered in CA and had no issues with the smog BS. Is your bike similar to those sold in Southern California ? Most likely yes, meaning similar/identical models of your motorcycle were sold in CA when new and did not have any modification to be sold in the state. Are you the original owner? If so look on the documentation (if you still have it) for language similar to "this vehicle conforms with U.S. EPA and California regulations". If by chance you have such documentation great, nevertheless if you don't I wouldn't worry about it. If you are still concerned research the Air Quality Management Board of California for any regulations pertaining to your motorcycle. I really don't think you have an issue.