If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New Addition

Kidasters

New Addition

Post by Kidasters »

Hey all -

It's been a bit. My R100/7 is still not back together, and I haven't re-wired all the turn signals on my R90/6. That's the bad news.

The good news - I was surfing the local Craigslist, and found a 1978 R100/7 for sale, somewhat locally (about an hour away). Made the deal and picked it up today. I love it. It needs minor things (front brake bled and adjusted, rear brake adjusted, carbs sync'd). I'll change the oil and give it a good cleaning. I'm really happy with the purchase. Previous Owner had it re-painted original color about 1-1/2 years ago, and all the pinstriping was done by hand. It's really well done.

Very very happy with this one.
Attachments
IMG_3018.JPG
What do you mean "next" project?

--My wife

schrader7032

Re: New Addition

Post by schrader7032 »

Nice looking bike! I notice is has BMW roundels as covers for the swing arm bearing holes...good touch. I also notice that it seems to have the recalled 19" front wheels. Doesn't look like yours has the extra ribbing on the spokes radiating from the center.

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/19inchrecall.htm

Getting a replacement, if that's what you want to do, is going to be difficult. Depends on the dealer for one, and then are there even any replacements out there. I had heard that the only replacements were gold anodized rims. Might look nice with your paint!!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Kidasters

Post by Kidasters »

Wow, thanks Kurt - I had no idea on the wheel recall. I'll keep my eyes open.

--My wife

srankin

Post by srankin »

A very nice looking bike. The color is the same as my 77 R75/7, I remember it looked very pretty shined up in the sun and was different than the "other" bikes on the road.

Enjoy the riding. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

schrader7032 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:26 pm
Nice looking bike! I notice is has BMW roundels as covers for the swing arm bearing holes...good touch. I also notice that it seems to have the recalled 19" front wheels. Doesn't look like yours has the extra ribbing on the spokes radiating from the center.

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/19inchrecall.htm

Getting a replacement, if that's what you want to do, is going to be difficult. Depends on the dealer for one, and then are there even any replacements out there. I had heard that the only replacements were gold anodized rims. Might look nice with your paint!!
Kurt is correct, those are the recalled rims. If you don't plan on replacing them before riding, go over them with a fine tooth comb (as they say) and check for cracks. If you're unable to get a replacement from BMW you could fit wire wheels or Lesters to your ride.

Kevin

Kidasters

Post by Kidasters »

Looked over the front wheel pretty well this morning, and I think I see some cracks down by the hub. Disappointing. I know the recall never "expires", but I think the likelihood of getting one from BMW is low. I've found one on e-bay that I'm bidding on - hopefully can win that one and swap them out.

--My wife

srankin

Post by srankin »

Aside from Ebay, wheels can be found at a lot of small shops such as Recycle BMW or Motorworks in the UK. I have also dealt with Joshua Buck and Roland Robile for used parts. Just in case you don't win the bid on the wheel you are looking at. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

At some point, I'd probably check with your nearest dealer to see what they have to say. I think ideally the wheels would be replaced if the original owner came in with proof of ownership of the bike. So theoretically all of the wheels would have found their "proper" bike. But I'm sure that broke down and dealers began to give them out to anybody/everybody that showed up. Not sure if any kind of dealer database was kept where they could verify what was replaced over time. Would be interesting to ask a few questions.
Kurt in S.A.

Kidasters

Post by Kidasters »

The page you linked Kurt said it all - you don't have to be the original owner, and the recall never expires. It's whether or not BMW has wheels available. Gut feel - BMW won't have wheels available.

It's OK. I won the E-bay auction. I was already working on learning how to replace front bearing sets on R100's. It made me finally order the motorcycle wheel balancer for my tire balancer. I'll swap it out and make it right.

--My wife

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

The snowflakes have to be treated with care during bearing changes...they're all aluminum hubs.
Kurt in S.A.