If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Valve Adjustment bolt out of travel

srankin

Re: Valve Adjustment bolt out of travel

Post by srankin »

Not to be disrespectful but I never installed the added base gasket on anything so I assume it could be seen between the block and jug at the base? As I have never seen or don't remember ever seeing one, I could be wrong and it could be hidden and not visible without taking the jug off.

When looking at Max's microfiche I see they call for a gasket to be used up until 8/1975? So, what year was your bike produced, Kurt I bet can provide a link to check using serial number. I am saying a big if here, if the jugs were off at one time and the bike is from the years where the gasket was not called for, might that not make a difference?

On a similar topic one of my friends yesterday called the shop and was saying he was running out of valve adjustment. In his case, his bike was a year of BMW engines that were known to have bad valve seats, it don't remember the exact range but my RT was affected and it is an 84. So again, I am grasping at straws, could there be valve recession going on? Honestly I don't think your bike was more prone to it then were the 82 to 84 year bikes but it could be happening.

I can understand the reluctance to tear things apart. I would not at least not until you get the new adjuster screws and see how they fit. IF they give you the same problem, if it were me, I would look into a tear down. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

gregflyn

Post by gregflyn »

Schrader and Sankrin.

The photos show the new adjuster bolts, they look different to the “original” ones on the bike. The originals had hex heads where the cup to hold the pushrod is. The “new” ones are from Euromotive and they are apparently good for all airhead bikes. On these the cup that holds the pushrod is round and there is an Allen key hex in he end of the thread. But there is the exact same travel on the “Original” to “New” bolts from what I removed to what I installed. I should have taken a photo of the “Original” adjuster bolts prior to installing the “new”ones. My second set of “New” adjuster bolts are set to arrive this weekend (I slightly stretched the threads on the first “New” set I installed with the locknuts above the rocker arm).

If he valves seats are wearing out the valves would be further and further out of the engine and pushing 8-) the rocker arm more, closing the clearance. If that were the case then I would be running out of adjustment on the adjuster bolts in the opposite direction ( not to mention that if the valves wore evenly out of the head by 6mm/1/4” I would be in serious trouble).

The extra gasket so far is the only possible scenario that would cause what I have going on and if the engine is ok to add the gasket then I’m leaving it there till I have other problems to address (and hopefully that is a long way down a fun-filled, traffic-less, open, winding road 😎)

My bike rolled off the factory floor March of ‘72, it is however registered as a ‘73. Either because it did get to the States until then or it was just sold in ‘73. This is from the title, and the decal on the Frame (it looks the age and matches the bike).

srankin

Post by srankin »

Thanks for the extra information, the more we get the closer to a solution. I applaud your methodology.

To be honest, I have not had a chance to bounce this off of my airhead shop owner friend as he is taking time off. Next time I see him I will ask him.

Just a side note, have you tried to email or call anybody like Ted Porter, Anton Largidare, or Tom Cutter?

LOL, I know how busy they are and I only call if I am totally flummoxed. St.

gregflyn

Post by gregflyn »

I have not tried to contact any of them. I actually don’t know of any of them. Or how to get hold of them.

srankin

Post by srankin »

All three have internet sites with contact information. Ted is at https://www.beemershop.com/category/air ... queue.html?

Anton is at http://www.largiader.com. Tom is at http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com

LOL, I know Tom Cutter is now asking for a donation via PayPal for his advice, it is worth it. These guys along with Snowbum,

Who is at https://bmwmotorcycletech.info. Are the guys who know what we who work on our bikes should know and have a lot more experience than I do for sure.

LOL, my shop guy is out of the shop with an injury so I have not had a chance to ask him about your problem, looks like it may be awhile before he is open agin. St.

Werner1111

Post by Werner1111 »

Did you ever figure this out?
R69 R90/6 R100/7 R100S R1150GSA S2R1000

malmac

Post by malmac »

Have a look at these parts (number 37) and see if they measure up the same as on the other side.

So many parts on the BMW's look the same but there are subtle but significant dimensional changes which could be your problem.

Re the base gaskets, you will quickly spot a thick gasket. I have some (not fitted) for the R69s and they are easy to spot.

Mal
Imager6051.jpg
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

I did some work on my '71 R75/5 this week end. I think the R60/5 heads are identical, the only difference between those engines is the bore diameter. Attached are some photos that you can compare to yours.

Craig
IMG_4372.JPG
IMG_4371.JPG
IMG_4370.JPG
IMG_4368.JPG
IMG_4367.JPG

Somerset West BMW

Post by Somerset West BMW »

Your pillar blocks are upside down.

Bmwwrench

Post by Bmwwrench »

The R60 heads are quite different to the bigger engines. The R60 heads have a shallow combustion by comparison, but the same length valves, which results in a shorter spring height, and adjusters screwed out to achieve correct clearance.

To the original poster, if your camshaft or lifter is not worn, the valve seat is drifting out of the head, and you should address this immediately.